Poultry & Livestock Specialist/Senior Operations Officer
IFC - International Finance Corporation
Johannesburg, South Africa
IFC’s Manufacturing Agribusiness and Services Department supports investments in many sub-sectors with a strong emphasis on agribusiness. Animal protein is the largest subsector in IFC agribusiness portfolio and a growing one across most developing countries. Advisory Services in MAS are currently focused on supporting clients in the agribusiness and retail sectors in four key areas: increasing the efficiency of smallholder supply chains, improving food safety, enhancing the productivity and sustainability of the animal protein sector and promoting the uptake of water efficient practices and technologies. While maintaining global knowledge using four platforms serving these four key areas, IFC also ensures the quality and cost-effective delivery of its services through its local presence in emerging markets.
IFC is seeking to employ a seasonal poultry industry expert to support the growth of its investment and advisory poultry portfolio across the world with a strong emphasis on IDA countries in Africa. A wider livestock expertise (beef, dairy, and pork) would be an advantage.
DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Provide industry and best practice advice to internal, World Bank Group, and external clients and add value to advisory services projects, new business development activities, and portfolio monitoring;
- Act as key technical expert supporting the design, implementation and portfolio management of IFC advisory projects in the poultry sector;
- Being able to identify client and sector opportunities for improvement and design improvement programs;
- Design and mange client turnaround programs, building strong client relationships, and driving positive change in client operations;
- Act as IFC sector knowledge repository and contribute to the development and delivery of IFC’s agribusiness strategies;
- Conduct due diligences assessing project strengths and weaknesses and providing investment and advisory teams with an appraisal report plus operational parameters to be built into financial models;
- Participate in investment committee meetings reviewing investment and advisory proposals, and support best practice dissemination and knowledge sharing;
- Participates in conferences and seminars and other events appropriate to maintaining and building sector knowledge and promoting IFC brand;
- Assists in the selection, briefing, and supervision of technical consultants engaged on due diligence and advisory services activities;
- Recognized within IFC as an authority in poultry sector and participates in World Bank Group wide events and specialist working groups.
- At least 15 years of professional experience in animal protein sub sectors with at least 5 years in at a senior management level of an agribusiness enterprise in the poultry sector;
- Expertise in other animal protein sectors (beef, dairy, pork) and food processing would be an advantage;
- A problem solver with proven track record;
- University degree in agricultural, food science, technology, engineering, veterinary or closely related field;
- Sound knowledge of current industry and sector operating parameters to permit comparative cost analysis and bench-marking, and established credibility as a respected regional or international agribusiness professional;
- Sound business judgment and proven track record of investment screening and assessment;
- Excellent communication skills in English; other language skills are an advantage; ability to work in a cross cultural environment;
- Good command of information technology;
- Deep understanding of poultry sector technologies, trends, and key challenges faced in emerging markets;
- Cross-sectoral agribusiness experience and exposure to marketing, sales, distribution, operations, procurement, engineering, MIS, business development, quality and environmental management;
- Willingness to undertake extensive international travel.