Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Summary of the role:
The Gender Advisor provides technical oversight and strategic program development and management assistance for TRANSFORM HDR’s gender initiatives. The Advisor will develop a gender strategy for the project and adapt/develop gender training material and tools for use in community and service level interventions. The Advisor ensures that TRANSFORM HDR initiatives utilize proven gender-sensitive client-provider interaction techniques and methodologies. The Advisor also participates in gender-related technical working groups and collaborates with the Federal MOH and Regional Health Bureaus, NGOs and other implementing agencies to ensure that national and regional level gender priorities are addressed and to coordinate with other gender activities in the regions.
- Develop a comprehensive gender strategy for the project;
- Oversee and coordinate gender initiatives at the federal and regional level, including gender mainstreaming; gender analysis and integration; response to gender-based violence (GBV); gender-related training and communication materials;
- Using global and local data, sensitize health leaders at federal and regional level to advocate for the deployment of more female health workers;
- Lead a gender assessment in the four project regions and then analyze the findings to inform interventions at community and health facility levels that will increase service use;
- Adapt/develop gender training materials and tools to integrate into community and service level interventions;
- Identify and manage project needs for external STTA on capacity building from IntraHealth International headquarters;
- Document success stories and challenges with integration and implementation of gender into the program;
- Assist with quarterly and annual reporting as well as annual work planning and budgeting;
- Travel to the four project regions quarterly, or more frequently if necessary.
Education & Experience
- A Masters and/or equivalent diploma in Public Health, Social Work, Women’s Studies or similar field preferred;
- Minimum of eight years of experience in public health projects with a focus on gender;
- Minimum of five years of experience developing gender strategies, trainings and tools that can be integrated into community interventions and within service delivery;
- Capacity to use data and assessment results/recommendations to strengthen and improve the gender component of the project;
- Established capacity to supervise personnel and to work as a team with various technical, clinical and administrative personnel;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English Local language skills are an advantage.
- Innovation - Develops new, better or significantly different ideas, methods, solutions or initiatives that result in improvement of IntraHealth's performance and meeting objectives, results and global commitments;
- Accountability - Holds self and others accountable for all work activities, research and personal actions and decisions; follows through on commitments and focuses on those activities that have the greatest impact on meeting measurable high quality results for IntraHealth's success. Exercises ethical practices, respectful words and behaviors, and equitable treatment of others in all activities;
- Service Excellence - Knowledge of and ability to put into action customer service concepts, processes and techniques to access internal and/or external client needs and expectations and meet or exceed those needs and expectations through providing excellent service directly or indirectly;
- Client Relationship Management: Knowledge and ability to determine and satisfy current client needs and maintain a partnering relationship during engagements; includes influencing, communicating, presenting, facilitating, Build and manage new relationships and collaborative alliances;
- Effective Communication (Oral and Written) - Understands effective communication concepts, tools and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, explain complex technical concepts in simple, clear language appropriate to the audience; and receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors;
- Strategic Thinking: Applies organizational knowledge to identify and maintain focus on key success factors for IntraHealth while recognizing, anticipating and resolving organizational challenges. Ability to develop organization- and industry-specific expertise and apply sound decision making processes to reach productive resolutions that translates strategy into actionable business plans.