Senior Policy Advisor, Francophone Africa
The Senior Policy Advisor provides strategic guidance and technical assistance for Ipas’s policy and advocacy activities in francophone Africa to increase access to safe abortion services. This position provides policy input, technical assistance, and high-level policy management support and oversight for one or more policy-priority countries. The Senior Policy Advisor is also responsible for engagement with regional bodies in coordination with Ipas’s regional office, developing and maintaining partnerships with colleague agencies, and serving as liaison to other Ipas global and regional units. The Senior Policy Manager will work in close collaboration with the Policy Manager based at Africa Alliance.
- Provides strategic guidance for advocacy to identify and accomplish policy goals in francophone Africa programs;
- Builds and nurtures existing networks and partnerships of organizations and institutions to support Ipas’s mission and legal changes on abortion;
- Leads planning and budgeting for policy activities, monitors the implementation of activities and planned results;
- Maintains relationships with government officials and other national and regional organizations to assist with Ipas’s mission by organizing sensitization workshops and providing ongoing information;
- Conceptualizes programmatic activities aimed at improving the policy environment through engaging with key policy makers and other stakeholders;
- In coordination with other policy staff, provides policy technical guidance as needed for policy activities;
- Drafts white papers and policy briefs for influencing policy and increasing access to safe abortion services as needed;
- Prepares presentations and papers for conferences and workshops; reviews other documents for publication by Ipas;
- Supports fundraising initiatives for policy activities by contributing to donor proposals and preparation or review of donor reports;
- Provides ongoing global monitoring and feedback on country activities toward achievement of efforts for policy change, as reflected by donor deliverables and other indicators;
- Monitors the legal environment for abortion and identifies opportunities for intervention;
- Assists in relationship management and helps maintain key relationships with national non-profits, private sector entities and policy networks, especially at the regional and national level;
- Mapping of partners and partnership programs;
- Assists with data collection and analysis;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be eligible to work in Benin;
- Bachelor's degree and 9+ years of relevant experience or advanced degree and 7+ years relevant experience;
- Advanced program planning and management experience;
- Experience working in policy and advocacy areas;
- Experience working in a non-profit organization;
- Must be flexible and able to adapt to changes in strategy;
- Strong written and oral French and English language skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work in multi-cultural environment;
- Ability to travel 40% within and outside the region;
- IT/Software Requirements: Microsoft Office Suite, Outlook, and Sharepoint.
- Master’s degree in relevant field or Law degree;
- Experience working in an international NGO;
- Established relationships with public health organizations;
- Working knowledge of budget oversight;
- International experience;
- Additional language skills.