Sustainable Development Officer, P4
UN ESCAP - United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Environment and Development Policy Section (EDPS) of the Environment and Development Division (EDD). The incumbent reports to the Chief of the Environment and Development Policy Section.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of the Section and overall supervision of the Chief of Division, the Sustainable Development Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Provides substantive support to the regional process of implementing the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, including through the preparation of intergovernmental meetings, sub-regional consultations, and other initiatives related to the 2030 agenda for sustainable development, preparation of background documents, liaison with member States and major stakeholders, meeting servicing, consolidation and reporting of outcomes;
- Prepares and coordinates studies on specific economic, environmental and social issues to be considered at the Asia-Pacific Forum on Sustainable Development on the basis of the outcomes of the subregional preparatory meetings; and institutionalizes the subregional preparatory meetings and Forum process, and ensures that the views expressed by Member States are clearly reflected and considered at the Forum;
- Undertakes research, develops publications and formulates policy advice on sustainable development to support the delivery of the regional roadmap for sustainable development and in line with EDD’s work programme and ESCAP’s mandate;
- Monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and sustainable development issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; ensures follow-up actions;
- Researches, analyzes sustainable development issues and presents information gathered from diverse sources;
- Develops draft policy recommendations on sustainable development issues, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies;
- Organizes and prepares written outputs on sustainable development issues, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.;
- Provides substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., including proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations on sustainable development issues;
- Initiates and coordinates outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
- Leads and/or participates in large, complex field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.;
- Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.);
- Prepares inputs for presentations by senior staff on sustainable development issues.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Professionalism: Ability to apply sustainable development theories, concepts and approaches. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic resources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently;
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in development economics, sustainable development, environment and or related field. A first level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. A PhD will be an advantage.
A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in the area of sustainable development, related to policy formulation, support of intergovernmental processes, application of sustainable development principles and concepts in project or programme management, administration, or related areas, is required. Experience with the organization of intergovernmental meetings related to sustainable development is highly desirable. Experience on sustainable development related projects, programmes and/or initiative in Asia and the Pacific region is an advantage. Experience in research and analysis in the above fields as demonstrated through authored publication is desirable. Experience within the UN system, or international organizations, is desirable
English or French, are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For the post advertised; fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.