UN HABITAT - United Nations Human Settlements Programme
The Communications Consultant will work under the overall supervision of the Land and GLTN Unit Leader and direct supervision of the Partnerships and Networking Coordinator in the implementation of the GLTN communication implementation plan, which forms part of the GLTN Partnership and Communication Strategy.
More specifically, the Communications Consultant will perform the following duties:
Manage the GLTN website and social media platforms
- Source and develop website content;
- Supervise and enforce implementation of online policies (subscriptions, security, backups, copyright, host relations);
- Promote GLTN website and Social Media content on Partners’ platforms, including UN-Habitat;
- Provide media liaison with international media.
GLTN visibility and information products
- Carry out graphic design work and production of video materials for printed and online information products;
- Support Substantive Officers in conceptualizing and formulating communication solutions under their work streams;
- Prepare and disseminate GLTN newsletters and other regular information products;
- Oversee the services provided by off-site contractors (translators, editors and graphic designers);
- Support the procurement function of communication materials.
- Provide the Partnerships and Networking Coordinator with communication solutions that support smooth network management;
- Support the GLTN advocacy and resource mobilization initiatives championed by the management.
GLTN information database
- Develop and maintain GLTN contacts and mailing lists (partners, members and other land sector actors);
- Develop and maintain an image database (photos, logos, diagrams, illustrations).
- Provide communication solutions for missions, meetings and events;
- Perform any additional tasks as required to deliver on the shared goals of the unit;
- Occasional travel, in-country and international, will be required.
- Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges. Remains calm in stressful situations;
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Planning and Organising: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently;
- Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology. Understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office. Actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks. Shows willingness to learn new technology.
- A University degree in communications, journalism, public relations, information technology or other related fields; A Master’s degree in a related field is an advantage.
- At least two years of progressively responsible in journalism, advocacy, communications, public relations or related fields: international experience desirable;
- Experience in information, public awareness, advocacy and communications or in any related discipline;
- Understanding of multi-stakeholder partnership arrangements, operations management and dynamics in a highly complex environment such as land is preferred;
- Theoretical background and good understanding of approaches, tools, methodologies relating to planning, executing and monitoring public communications campaigns, e.g. campaign management, message targeting, impact evaluation, etc.;
- Competence in web management, desktop publishing, video editing, graphic software is highly preferred;
- Good communications research and analytical skills;
- Excellent drafting and editing skills;
- Excellent in English writing skills is required; Knowledge of French would be an advantage;
- Previous work experience for the UN systems is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations. For the post advertised, the incumbent must have a perfect command of English, which should be the native/mother tongue language or principal language of education. Knowledge of French would be an added advantage.