Community Mobilization and Engagement Specialist
The United States Agency for International Development in Malawi (USAID/Malawi) has issued a Request for Proposal (RFP) for the implementation of “Assess the Learners” (YESA) Activity. The primary purpose of this activity is to create a multi-level monitoring and evaluation system for the National Reading Programme to assist the Government of Malawi’s (GoM’s) efforts to improve the reading skills of Malawian students nationwide.
The activity must achieve the following objectives:
- National Reading Assessment instituted;
- Universal school–level utilization of assessment strategies and techniques for reading and school management instituted;
- Community-level capacity for the performance and informed use of reading assessments instituted; and
- Integration of reading assessments into National Reading Program and MOEST Policies and Practices instituted.
Working under the supervision of the YESA Chief of Party or his/her designee, the Community Mobilization and Engagement Specialist coordinates the YESA activities related to Objective 3, Community-level capacity for the performance and informed use of reading assessments instituted. This involves working with traditional authorities, community leaders, local community organizations and parents, to build demand for quality outcomes in reading acquisition among children of primary grades. The Community Mobilization Specialist with engage YESA partners in efforts aimed at building and cultivating local community capacity for performance assessment and organizing activities for dissemination and informed use of reading outcomes in feeding back and strengthening local education service provision. The Community Mobilization Specialist will oversee the development of communication and dissemination protocols and messages, and manage the implementation of communication efforts designed to provide reading results and engage the communities in understanding them. The incumbent will be expected to ensure continuous engagement of relevant partners and technical experts to provide training, tool development, analysis, and dissemination – and work to institutionalize these processes within existing community structures and among local stakeholders.
- A Master's Degree in international education, non-formal and/or other alternative education approaches, basic education, teacher training, and/or social/behavioral sciences;
- At least 5 (five) years demonstrated experience in community mobilization and engagement;
- Experience mobilizing parents support to students’ acquisition of reading skills, in particular students enrolled in early grades of primary education;
- Experience developing easy to use training materials for training of communities in support of early grade reading activities, especially in the assessment of reading skills;
- Demonstrated ability to transfer skills, such as the ability to perform simple reading assessments, to community members that may have little or no reading skills;
- Demonstrated ability to capacitate groups of people, such as rural Malawian communities, to be informed consumers of assessment findings;
- Demonstrated successful professional career in community management, community mobilization, working through communities and working with communities;
- Ability to interact and build performing relationships with stakeholders especially with organizations, departments and institutions that complements the acquisition of reading skills at school and community level.