Health Program Manager
World Relief Corp
Juba, South Sudan
JOB SUMMARY (Overall Purpose):
The position facilitates health activities in South Sudan through management of curative and preventive and health programming at seven primary healthcare centers and a county hospital. The candidate also provides direction and oversight to the health program with the overall goal of developing local capacity to sustain health programs in the long term.
Position is contingent on security situation and continued funding for the Health programming.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage supervision of all health programming in all locations in South Sudan;
- Supervise the safe and efficient management of health supplies and equipment;
- Support the implementation of timely and accurate data collection systems, monitor data for accuracy, and respond appropriately with programmatic changes as needed to meet targets;
- Assess staff training needs and make appropriate referrals for training. Where required, organize, facilitate and/or provide training for nutrition and health personnel;
- Play an active role in investigating upcoming Requests for Applications (RFAs) and the development of proposals, budget and project review processes;
- Coordinate health activities with Ministries of Health, UN agencies, other implementing partners, and other funding agencies;
- Coordinate health program development with local counterparts (South Sudan Ministry of Health (SSMoH), County Health Department and local leadership) with a community development approach at all stages of program planning and implementation;
- Ensure compliance with WHO and the Government of South Sudan (GoSS) Ministry of Health (MoH) guidelines and policies in each program component;
- Maintain clear communication with all relevant staff on at least a weekly basis;
- Promote the development of a sustainable health program by offering creative ideas and new approaches to solving problems in the health program;
- Coordinate with other World Relief programs in each field with full support for an integrated approach to community development;
- Reflect an example of true Christian character and mission in all interactions with WR staff, beneficiaries, community members, and other partners;
- Work to strengthen the local church’s capacity for supporting health initiatives;
- Any other duties assigned by immediate supervisor.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job;
- This is a field based position and will require exposure to high temperatures, bright sun, wind, and conditions normally associated with arid environments;
- The incumbent should expect to spend considerable time traveling by land over rough terrain.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job; Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Bachelor’s Degree in public health, nursing, or related field.
- Master’s degree in public health.
- Management experience with primary healthcare clinics;
- Staff management experience;
- Solid understanding of links between emergency and development programs, familiar with project cycle management.
- 3 years providing leadership to nutrition and health-related programs;
- Clinical experience and/or health systems management experience;
- Experience in donor reporting e.g. USAID, EU, CIDA, UN Agencies preferred.
- Excellent English (oral & written).
- Ability to understand and/or communicate in Arabic.
- At ease with Microsoft Office programs (in particular with Word & Excel), Internet, and e-mail writing.
- Strong Christian commitment;
- Able to work independently as well as being a strong team player.
- Capacity to give spiritual input;
- Enjoys working in a team setting;
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and to deal with problems and issues both promptly and efficiently.
- Diplomatic and sensitive to cross-cultural issues;
- Open minded, self controlled, self learner and flexible.
Self-confident, maintains endurance
- Capacity to work under pressure and to tight deadlines;
- Good negotiation skills, especially in the context of another culture;
- Able to work in a fluid and insecure area;
- Maturity and ability to adjust to harsh living conditions.
- Experience in hardship postings/complex emergencies, with proven leadership experience.
- Reliable and highly organized;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Aptitude for community mobilization and capacity-building;
- Ability to manage budgets, understand financial accountability procedures, logistics, and commodity tracking.
- Experience in training/mentoring staff;
- Knowledge of and practical experience in the development of didactic materials for training.
Management & Leadership
- Good time management;
- Able to prioritize clearly;
- Able to enforce procedures;
- Able to oversee multiple tasks.
- Desire to be stretched, professionally, personally & spiritually;
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills.