Public Information Officer (Digital Communications)
The Hague, Netherlands
Under the immediate supervision of the External Relations Officer in The Hague, the incumbent shall:
- Manage, maintain and develop the website content for the MICT, ICTY and ICTR, including technical and graphic-design implementation; develop a unified content management system, in order to serve the MICT’s mandate of preserving and promoting the legacy of the ICTY and ICTR beyond their closure. Ensure consistency in information architecture, content taxonomy and design principles. Prepare specifications, select and coordinate the work of contractors. Supervise web development staff;
- Devise and implement strategies in connection with relevant sections to provide an online repository for international criminal tribunals’ case law, with a clear focus on user-friendliness and multilingualism;
- Devise and implement multimedia projects in connection with relevant colleagues within the office and other sections, in order to create online features showcasing the archives of the ICTR and ICTY;
- Act as the focal point for web components with internal and external stakeholders of projects related to public judicial records, advanced legal research tools, and other legacy projects as they arise;
- Act as editor for the website(s), checking information for updates and accuracy. Initiate and coordinate the production of content for the three Institutions. Organise translations to ensure content availability in English, French, Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian, and Kinyarwanda. Draft content in English and French;
- Maintain communication with other sections on a regular basis to propose and identify subjects of interest that may be developed as features for the web, in order to improve the understanding of the work and achievements of the three Organisations, as well as to brief them on best practices for web operations, both technical and content-related;
- Advise the External Relations Officer and other sections from MICT, ICTY and ICTR on web issues and opportunities, notably by analysing websites’ usage statistics. Undertake regular and comprehensive reviews and evaluations of the accessibility of platforms and software applications. Report technical issues;
- Performs other duties assigned by supervisors in support of institutional external relations strategy.
- Professionalism - Advanced knowledge in the field of Web design methodologies and information architecture, content organisation and taxonomy concepts. Thorough knowledge of the Tribunals and the use of their materials and legacy. Knowledge of Web content management systems, and the use of relevant information databases. Knowledge in website technologies, HTML, CSS, and Drupal. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work. The incumbent shows pride in work and achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations;
- Communication – Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Teamwork – Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before personal agenda; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings;
- Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of new developments in information technology and management for web and design; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology;
- Building Trust – provides an environment in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion; manages in a deliberate and predictable way; operates with transparency; has no hidden agenda; places confidence in colleagues, staff members and clients; gives proper credit to others; follows through on agreed upon actions; treats sensitive or confidential information appropriately;
- Judgement/Decision-making – Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; gathers relevant information before making a decision; considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organisation; proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; checks assumptions against facts; determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; makes tough decisions when necessary.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in communication, computer science, international relations, public administration or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree
A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in public information, international relations, public administration or related area, of which at least two years of experience in overseeing web developers and content generators, managing and implementing related projects in an international setting. Experience in writing for the web and planning web-page structures. Experience managing the creation of content management systems, both front-end and back-end. Knowledge of HTML.
Proficiency in oral and written English, is required. Fluency in written and oral French is desirable.