Haiti Country Director
Medical Teams International
This position supports the mission of the organization by guiding and managing Medical Team International’s work in Haiti; representing Medical Teams International to key stakeholders in country; providing leadership in the development and implementation of the country strategy and quality country programs;, including the direct supervision of management staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Represent Medical Teams International to Government of Haiti, UN agencies, other NGOs, faith-based organizations, churches and other stakeholders in the country;
- Analyze and maintain an ongoing awareness of the operating environment in Haiti, particularly needs in the health sector that fit with Medical Teams International’s core competencies;
- Develop, review and implement a proactive country strategy in Haiti;
- Facilitate the growth of Medical Teams International’s programs in Haiti;
- Build effective teamwork and coordination among staff in country;
- Ensure effective financial monitoring, reporting and management at the individual project as well as country-program levels;
- Develop annual operating budgets and work plans;
- Ensure project proposals and reports are submitted on time and meet standards required by Medical Teams International Headquarters and/or external donors;
- Ensure Medical Teams International is compliant with Government laws and policies in Haiti, and with Medical Teams International’s internal policies and procedures;
- Review and oversee implementation of effective security risk management policies and procedures;
- Oversee effective human resource management including the recruitment, hiring, supervision and performance review of local and expatriate personnel in accordance with the laws and policies in Haiti and the personnel policies of Medical Teams International;
- Identify funding opportunities, maintain networks with donors, lead in the development of proposals;
- Complete process of registering Medical Teams International in Haiti.
- Dedication to the mission of Medical Teams International;
- Masters degree or higher in a field relevant to international humanitarian work;
- 5 years progressively responsible experience in international relief and development with program and staff management;
- 3 years developing country office management experience;
- Commitment to achieving excellence, positive attitude, strong orientation towards programmatic growth and organizational strengthening;
- Strong organizational and program skills and experience, including strategic planning, achieving results, coordinating and supporting a diverse team;
- Strong financial management skills, including ability to prepare, monitor, and control budgets, reports, project proposals and working agreement documents;
- Strong verbal and written communication skill;
- Experience with report and proposal writing;
- Strong working knowledge of health-sector issues in developing countries;
- Demonstrated experience and skill in raising funds for international development projects;
- Commitment to working in a manner that respects local religious and cultural sensitivities;
- Highly organized, able to work independently;
- Valid driver’s license.
- Competency in French and Creole;
- Work experience in Haiti.