WASH Project Manager
Beni, the Democratic Republic of Congo
Key Activity Areas
- Be responsible for the implementation and support of the WASH project(s) in line with the activity plan and time frame of project proposal(s) and any applicable national and international guidelines;
- Manage the quality construction of all infrastructures, ensuring maintenance and sustainability;
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments are conducted with reports being made;
- Work towards the continual improvement of the processes and the technical implementation of the infrastructure WASH programme;
- Help integrate beneficiary participation into the existing project(s) framework: comities, random selection of casual labourer for interview and help develop new ways of integrating;
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities for internal and external reports (e.g. monthly, quarterly and final reports) as requested by field managers, HQ and donors;
- Input into the development of the country strategy, new projects and/or donor proposals.
- Manage and oversee recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.;
- Hold monthly team meetings with the teams, review objectives, inform them of issues relevant to their work and provide feedback and ensure they receive coaching and training;
- Promote the health and security of the team(s) by providing support to the WIA in developing security guidelines in the workplace and ensuring healthy living conditions and practices are being followed;
- On occasions work with casual labour or other Medair staff (including hiring, co-ordinating workload and payment) to achieve specific, time-bound tasks.
- Plan, construct and manage budgets for the assigned project(s);
- Coordinate and oversee petty cash requirements of the assigned team(s).
Communication and Coordination
- Develop and maintain regular and supportive communication structures with team(s) and stakeholders;
- Represent Medair at local level coordination meetings involving local authorities, UN agencies, etc.
- Manage the correct and timely ordering and replacement of all necessary Infrastructure and WASH supplies and equipment;
- Develop project(s) specific handling of field depot in order to better track movement of goods.
- Implement relevant policies and standards relating to current operations including national, and international (e.g. Sphere and HAP) standards, donor guidelines and other good practice.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts;
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement;
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Higher level qualification in a technical field, preferably in water and sanitation;
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field;
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills. Leadership and project management skills;
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with the team, beneficiaries and other agencies;
- Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian standards such as Sphere and HAP;
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels;
- Good report writing skills and problem solving ability;
- Dynamic, creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner, self-motivated and hard-working.