Director of Finance and Operations
EDGE Funders Alliance
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: U.S. Eastern and Central time zones; NYC preferred
Salary Range: $60,000 to $64,000 at 80% FTE, full time employment can be considered; with benefits
EDGE Funders Alliance is a 501c3 organization with a small team of staff based in the US and in Europe. As a network of 80 progressive grantmaking organizations, EDGE organizes internationally to increase resources for communities and movements creating systemic change alternatives for a transition to a society that supports justice, equity and the well-being of the planet.
We are seeking an experienced entrepreneurial leader excited to work with a decentralized team, and provide the management and vision necessary to ensure our organization has the proper operational and financial controls, in Europe and the US, for greater effectiveness and sustainable growth. This is an ideal role for someone interested in building the financial, operational and human resource infrastructure for a growing organization by putting the necessary systems and policies in place, while also caring for the hands-on daily details of managing budgets, negotiating contracts, paying bills and ensuring the smooth functioning of decentralized operations. We are looking for a motivated professional who will provide leadership in this role, committing to serve for a minimum of two years in this position.
- Spearhead with the Executive Director and team the development and implementation of short- and long-term strategies, plans and operational budgets which optimize the use of personnel, materials/resources and systems in an effort to meet or exceed program and operational goals;
- Ensure the organization has the proper operational controls, administrative and reporting procedures to meet operational and financial targets;
- Provide day-to-day leadership, management and execution of all organizational operations and finance in service of EDGE’s mission and goals. This includes:
- Managing EDGE’s finances including budget planning and oversight, monthly financial reports and interface with Executive Director and team members, support EDGE’s Board of Directors finance committee and other financial and budget tasks;
- Manage fiscal sponsorship services provided by EDGE, including for a pooled fund;
- Manage ongoing invoices, reimbursements and monthly financial reporting;
- Oversee the development and submission of grant and financial reports;
- Manage all contracts and legal documents, including consultant and third party vendor contracts.
- Assist in the protection of the organization by ensuring compliance with all applicable laws and policies;
- Perform and manage all aspects of membership database management to ensure accuracy of member information;
- Oversee operations, logistics, financial and contract management of the EDGE annual conference, funder convenings, delegations and other initiatives, in conjunction with event planning firms and conference consultants.
Human Resources Support
- Oversee completion of Human Resources manual and ensure application of HR policies;
- Act as main point of contact for payroll service provider and employee benefits administrator;
- Support an environment of mutual confidence, trust, integrity and ethics and mutual respect in support of a just culture by participating in, contributing to, and monitoring the development and accountability of team members and others as part of a collective process, ensuring “ownership” and accountability.
Administration and Information Technology
- Administratively support Executive director with board communications, scheduling of quarterly board meetings and conference calls;
- Collaborate with Communications Coordinator on evaluating membership systems and database and support implementation.
- Senior-level experience managing finance and operations in a small or mid-size organization through a period of systems-building and growth;
- Outstanding multitasking, organization and prioritization skills – ability to manage multiple demands, projects and deadlines;
- Experience and comfort working in a remote and decentralized virtual team, communicating largely through skype and online platforms;
- Willing to travel twice a year to EDGE annual conference, and to annual staff retreat;
- Excellent knowledge of finances, budgeting, grants reporting, and a strong understanding of nonprofit compliance in USA (Europe is also ideal);
- Experience or interest in philanthropy, nonprofits, foundation operations and management;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Experience, and sensitivity, with working across cultural contexts.
Compensation offered will be based on qualifications and experience. The contract will start by November 1 latest, or earlier if possible. Presence at a team retreat and other EDGE activities in Brussels and Paris from 9 to 16 November 2017 is critical.
Send a cover letter with minimum salary requirements and resumé to email@example.com with your name and “Director of Finance and Operations” in the subject line.
Please apply as soon as possible as interviews will be held on a rolling basis, with start of employment by 1 November 2017 at the latest.
EDGE Funders Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, visit www.edgefunders.org.
EDGE is committed to building a staff reflective of the diverse communities we serve and support, and we encourage those of all backgrounds, including people of color, gender nonconforming persons and people with disabilities, to apply for this position.