Director, Global Health, Youth and Development
ICRW - International Center for Research on Women
Washington, DC, United States
The International Center for Research on Women (ICRW) has been the premier applied research institute focused on women and girls for the last four decades. ICRW works with partners to conduct empirical research, build capacity, and advocate for evidence-based practical solutions to change policies and programs. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., and with regional offices in South Asia and Africa, ICRW conducts research to inform policies and programs seeking to alleviate poverty, promote gender equality and protect the rights of women and girls. Corporations, foundations, governments and civil society organizations partner with ICRW to discover through rigorous research how to dismantle barriers and help women and girls achieve their full potential. ICRW’s focal areas include gender-based violence, healthy transitions to adulthood, economic empowerment, HIV/AIDS, and sexual and reproductive health and rights.
At ICRW, we believe that research can and should be a process of social development, and we employ participatory methods when appropriate. Further, ICRW pursues intersectional research to the greatest extent possible. All research we undertake serves to advance ICRW’s mission of improving the status of women and girls, promoting gender equality, and eradicating poverty.
The Director, Global Health, Youth and Development (GYD) is a full time position based in Washington, DC; alternatively, New Delhi; Nairobi; or Kampala depending upon circumstances. The Director will provide strategic direction, thought leadership, resource and talent management, technical oversight and quality assurance within the global research platform on Global Health, Youth and Development. The Director will engage with and expand the existing network of key donors and other partners that support this portfolio’s ongoing business development. In addition, the Director will work closely with the President and other senior management staff to consider options for portfolio configuration in order to expand career growth opportunities for senior and mid-level research talent. The Director should be travelling up to 35% time. S/he will serve as a member of the Global Senior Management Team (GSMT) and report directly to the President.
WHY SHOULD YOU APPLY?
- Help set the agenda for the global conversation on the status of women and girls;
- Help inform and create policies and programs that empower women and girls around the globe to tackle poverty in their communities;
- Help shape the face and voice of the world’s premier global research institute;
- Join a team that celebrates creative energy and new ideas and isn’t afraid of taking smart risks;
- Represent ICRW on issues from poverty alleviation to ending the practice of child marriage in global forums and throughout the media;
- Highly competitive salary and benefit packages;
- Wellness Program includes generous time off, health benefits, free onsite fitness center (D.C. Office) and flex schedules for work life balance.
WHAT WILL YOU NEED?
- Ph.D. in Sociology, Demography, Anthropology, Public Health, Gender Studies, Public Policy, or related field with a minimum of 8 years of post-graduate experience in gender and development, or a Master’s degree in a relevant field with 12 years experience;
- Solid understanding of population and reproductive health issues, and in women's empowerment, especially on issues such as adolescents and transitions to adulthood, child marriage, sex selection, fertility trends, maternal health, positive youth development, HIV and sexual/reproductive behavior;
- Sound research skills in quantitative, qualitative and evaluation methodologies, including impact evaluation;
- Strategic thinking and negotiation skills to help shape a strong agenda for advancing ICRW's and partners' work on global health, youth and development;
- Significant experience and successful track record in management of complex projects, including financial, talent, planning & execution and relationships aspects;
- Outstanding written skills and demonstrated track record of producing high quality deliverables in a timely fashion;
- Excellent oral communication skills, especially in cross-cultural settings;
- Demonstrated people management skills demonstrating maturity and diplomacy;
- Ability to package and communicate complex and technical information in accessible forms for lay audiences - in both written and verbal communication;
- Versatility, flexibility, and adaptability in responding to projects under evolution;
- Sense of confidence and comfort level with guiding donors, clients, and partners with clear direction and recommendations in mind;
- Strong, strategic sense for business development;
- Proficiency in Spanish or French highly desirable.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
- Support engagement between the DC office and GYD projects and staff housed in the Asia and Africa Offices (through integrated business development efforts, regular global team meetings, strategic planning, project implementation, and periodic in-house capacity building on key skills);
- Direct and/or provide technical assistance to projects in the GYD portfolio, assuring quality of all aspects of project execution, donor/partner relations, staff and administrative management;
- Lead business development for the GYD portfolio and secure the portfolio’s funding pipeline, engaging with Regional Directors and other portfolio directors as required, by developing research proposals that will advance ICRW’s mission across the three offices;
- Provide overall strategic guidance to the portfolio in terms of topical areas of focus particularly in terms of emerging areas of inquiry;
- Manage the overall GYD budget, working with project directors to plan and execute research projects effectively;
- Provide leadership and strategy guidance in the recruitment, supervision and mentoring of GYD technical staff;
- Represent ICRW externally, including with donors, partners, and in conferences, events and networks.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample at: http://icrw.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a25z2g1ufjgj.
Due to the large volume of responses we receive, ICRW is not able to provide candidacy status on an individual basis. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. ICRW is an equal opportunity employer, M/F/D/V.