Resident Program Manager: Iraq
NDI - National Democratic Institute
The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) seeks to hire a Resident Program Manager with solid management skills and experience working with women activists and civil society organizations (CSOs) to implement a program designed to empower women to play a more active role in Iraq’s reconciliation process. The Program Manager will design and conduct activities such as consultations and training workshops, coordinate a small grants program, maintain regular contact with program participants and partners. NDI seeks candidates with leadership and management skills, coupled with significant experience providing assistance to gender inclusive programs in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). This position will be based in Erbil, with occasional travel to Baghdad and other parts the country to meet program goals. This is an unaccompanied post, and anticipated to start in September 2017, contingent on funding.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in management and implementation NDI’s women’s empowerment program in Iraq, including the planning and coordination of program activities to strengthen women’s engagement in reconciliation processes including conflict identification and transformation, policy and platform development.
- Maintain working relationships with key Iraqi women activists in key liberated areas.
- Maintain strong working relations with the donor and diplomatic communities, international organizations, and in-country partners.
- Provide technical assistance through consultations and workshops and develop learning materials, as needed, to ensure a high quality of training and enriching exchanges for participants.
- Monitor assigned project’s annual budget, providing a full, accurate and timely accounting of all funds.
- Ensure adherence to both NDI and donor financial regulations, and respect of procedures that guarantee the integrity of all financial transactions.
- Consult regularly with Washington-based staff on program progress and results, as well as local political developments.
- Directly supervise local staff and international consultants to ensure that program activities are completed as planned and financial and program-related transactions adhere to internal NDI and donor regulations;
- Oversee activity report submissions, ensuring submission to the Resident Country Director and DC-based program staff in a timely manner with thorough and high quality data.
- Liaise with NDI’s DC-based Middle East and North Africa team and administrative departments to ensure all significant administrative issues are addressed and resolved and that all follow-up is performed as requested.
- In partnership with the Resident Country Director, ensure compliance with national laws, NDI and donor administrative and reporting requirements, as well as appropriate implementation of field office policies and handbook.
- Represent NDI and its program at public events and functions.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Conflict Resolution, International Relations, Gender Studies, Political Science or related subject; graduate degree desired.
- A minimum of eight (8) years’ experience working in democracy support and women’s empowerment programming; particular experience in Iraq or the Middle East and North Africa preferred.
- Demonstrated capacity to thrive in volatile operating environment including limited mobility.
- Arabic language skills strongly preferred but not required.
- Strong ability to share skills and experience with others as a trainer and/or advisor.
- Solid experience in all aspects of program management, including design, coordination, operations, monitoring and evaluation, and financial and human resources management.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and networking skills, and a demonstrated ability to build and maintain professional relationships in a multicultural setting with a wide range of audiences, from members of the donor community to local party leaders.
- Proven capacity to meet program goals while managing financial and administrative responsibilities; experience in results-oriented program design, strategic planning, and program evaluation preferred
- Strong writing skills with the ability to present clear and concise analysis.
- Experienced management and leadership skills in order to lead, inspire and motivate staff where results are clearly beneficial.
- Working knowledge of Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, G+, etc.).