Regional Monitoring and Evaluation Technical Advisor, Africa
The Regional Monitoring, Evaluation Technical Advisor works with a highly motivated M&E/MIS global support team at ACDI/VOCA to provide leadership within the Africa Region to strengthen organizational and staff capacity to design and implement effective monitoring, evaluation, reporting and learning systems on ACDI/VOCA projects. S/he provides on-the-job capacity building, supportive mentoring and coaching for project M&E staff and key partners throughout the region to help them ensure quality data and analysis is available to program managers and donors in a timely manner. The Regional Monitoring, Evaluation Technical Advisor provides guidance on baseline studies, annual surveys, mid-term and final studies and evaluation methodologies and assists in the analysis and building of evidentiary support of programming results. The M&E Specialist will be based in Africa in their home country but will travel frequently (LOE up to 40%) to other countries/project sites in the region.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
Project Guidance and Support (50%)
- Assist country offices to develop and implement project M&E systems that meet ACDI/VOCA and donor standards;
- Support each country office to develop and implement Performance Monitoring and Evaluation Plans to include clearly defined indicators that reflect a causal model or results framework, operational protocols for collecting data and a system for the consistent and accurate collection, collation, analysis and use of data as well as clarity on the evaluation approach for outcome and impact level results;
- Provide specific mentoring guidance during startup (days 1-90), initial implementation (days 91-180), mid-term and final evaluations periods of the project cycle.
- Build staff capacity in controlling data quality and mitigating data risk--help staff develop data quality standards and implement standard operating procedures to mitigate risk;
- Conduct internal data quality audits of project M&E systems;
- Prepare project teams selected for external audits;
- Help support the establishment of database systems within country offices. Help define standards, design elements and if need be review or advise on consultants scopes and products;
- Support the establishment of the ACDI/VOCA Management Plus Database;
- Support staff in maintaining and populating the ACDI/VOCA CaPISC Database;
- Support staff in timely and meaningful analysis of any data being collected;
- Ensure each program has a sufficient evaluation system/approach in place that allows the program to determine outcome and impact level results in context and one that maximizes program learning;
- Help projects develop methodologically sound case studies and focus groups;
- Support COP and Project Directors in extracting critical lessons learned and good practices from monitoring and reviewing of progress. Ensure that project monitoring, documentation and learning approaches are consistently integrated, aligned, and mainstreamed into project activities and coordinated with stakeholders;
- Help staff mentor partners or sub-recipients/ grantees in collecting critical M&E data. Develop and improve upon organizational grant monitoring and survey tools as well as other data collection forms and information tracking tools to realize effective programming;
- Help staff ensure coordination and feedback with communities, service providers, and local governments in the region relevant to project M&E efforts. Assist in improving communication and information sharing between different stakeholders and coordinate with other stakeholders and organizations working in ACDI/VOCA’s implementation area to share data management tools, project activity data and lessons learned.
Regional Leadership (30%)
- Forward ACDI/VOCA’s approach to M&E within the Region – forward the M&E Vision, Policy and Guidance and support the M&E Community of Practice within the region;
- Review program M&E status (across the region) and provide feedback on needs, trends, best practices, and priorities to help establish regional and global support activities and budgets;
- Coordinate and provide staff training within the region in a broad range of program monitoring and evaluation issues/methods/tools (subjects selected with your supervisor);
- Provide opportunities for staff development within country offices in a broad range of program evaluation issues/methods/tools;
- Represent ACDI/VOCA on external M&E-related working groups, task forces, conferences, publications and panels. Identify and participate in regional M&E professional organizations.
ACDI/VOCA Global Participation (20%)
Work in partnership with the ACDI/VOCA Program Operations and M&E Team to:
- Assist in developing global strategic direction for M&E at ACDI/VOCA;
- Participate (as directed by your supervisor) in M&E reconnaissance and in specific proposal development;
- Collaborate in preparation of ACDI/VOCA global or region research agendas and or case studies;
- Provide support and collaborate to new business development efforts;
- Assist in the design and implementation of knowledge management systems that allow ACDI/VOCA staff to review and analyze data and information on relevant technical areas as a basis for providing up-to-date information on impact, effectiveness, outputs and inputs to programs;
- Collaboratively develop and maintain relationships on behalf of ACDI/VOCA with a priority on partnerships important to Africa region field offices;
- Remain informed of new developments in M&E and in donor regulations regarding M&E;
- Maintain close contact with the Sr. Vice President, Quality & Compliance, Quality & Compliance;
- Other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: May supervise consultants, interns or staff assistants as needed.
- Minimum of ten years of Monitoring and Evaluation international development program;
- A Master’s degree (required) in the fields of M&E, social sciences, demography, agriculture economics or other related field;
- Significant experience in the design and implementation of M&E systems for capacity building interventions;
- D emonstrated experience in data collection; statistical analysis; and reporting; including experience with computer-based statistical packages and databases (Epi Info, ACCESS, SPSS, etc.);
- Previous experience designing and implementing M&E training for international organizations required;
- Strong facilitation skills, including the design and management of effective trainings, workshops and meetings with diverse participants;
- Experience working with international donors, as well as counterparts and beneficiaries (e.g., international and local NGOs and government representatives);
- Ability to work on a variety of projects concurrently in a fast-paced environment;
- Excellent communications and coordination skills and cultural sensibility;
- Experience conducting field research preferred;
- Familiarity with USAID rules and regulations preferred;
- Proficiency in spoken and written English and a second language required (French preferred);
- Ability to travel to remote areas within across Africa.