Senior Food and Nutrition Security Policy Consultant (FIRST Programme)
FAO - Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Food and Nutrition Security Impact, Resilience, Sustainability and Transformation (FIRST) is a FAO and the European Union partnership programme with the purpose of providing a policy assistance mechanism for improved food security and nutrition and sustainable agriculture. FIRST is designed to strengthen the enabling environment for food security and nutrition and sustainable agriculture in a number of selected priority countries. FIRST will be embedded within the FAO’s programme management and coordination structure. It will contribute directly to the food security, nutrition and sustainable agriculture policy and governance related results envisioned under FAO Strategic Objectives 1. ‘Help Eliminate Hunger, Food Insecurity and Malnutrition’ and 2.’Make agriculture, forestry and fisheries more productive and sustainable’.
The Senior Consultant works under direct supervision of the FAO Representative to Trinidad & Tobago and Suriname and the overall technical guidance of the Senior Policy Officer (FAO/SLC/Trinidad & Tobago) and the FIRST Manager (FAO/Rome). In close collaboration with the EU delegation and the relevant ministries, the Senior Consultant:
Policy assistance, governance, and capacity development support and facilitate policy dialogue around food security, nutrition, and sustainable agriculture.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Analyses and supports operational policies to strengthen the country’s inter- and intra- sectoral and institutional arrangements and capacity for the implementation of the Food and Nutrition Security Policy and Action Plan;
- Promotes inter-sectoral collaboration in programme planning and implementation of actions among all sectors involved in Food and Nutrition Security and Sustainable Agriculture (FNSSA);
- Provides technical and policy advice, support and capacity strengthening to specific ministries and government parastatals for the development and implementation of their policies and programmes;
- Advocates strategic partnerships, best practices, and increased policy dialogue for effective working relationships, consensus and agreements with national and regional partners;
- Supports advocacy and awareness campaigns on food security and nutrition (FNS) to Ministries (Officials and Ministers), relevant institutions and general public;
- Monitors the implementation of FNS programmes and suggest re-definition of approaches to ensure alignment with FNS Policy;
- Provides support as required to the food and nutrition security council and intergovernmental commission so that they provide guidance, as well as monitors and evaluates interventions related to food utilization and food availability as part of the Food and Nutrition Security Policy and Action Plan;
- Plans, organizes and participates in capacity development activities as endorsed by the Government;
- Prepares reports to FAO, European Union and Government on progress achieved and issues related to FIRST implementation;
- Leads and/or participates in resource mobilization activities;
- Perform other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in agricultural economics, development economics, food security and nutrition and sustainable agriculture or related area;
- Seven to ten years of relevant experience in policy analysis and advice related to food and nutrition security and/or sustainable agriculture policy and policy processes;
- Working knowledge of Dutch and English FAO Core Competencies;
- Results Focus;
- Building Effective Relationships;
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement.
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions in Latin America and the Caribbean region;
- Extent and relevance of experience to promote ideas, build networks and partnerships with parties outside of own team and organization in order to achieve set objectives around food security and nutrition and/or sustainable agriculture;
- Extent and relevance of experience to coordinate, direct, facilitate and recognize team efforts; create an enabling environment and assist others to realize and develop their potential around food security and nutrition and/or sustainable agriculture amongst a wide variety of stakeholder.