International Consultant to Develop/Adapt Training Modules for Public Officials on Gender Sensitive Analysis in Kazakhstan
UN Women - United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women
UN Women therefore seeks to obtain the services of an individual consultant who can develop/adapt relevant interactive training modules and organize trainings for civil servants based on the developed/adapted training modules.
The work will focus on two specific objectives: 1) to strengthen the institutional capacities of the ministries and local bodies to conduct gender analysis, monitoring and evaluation of the national development programmes and budget programmes; 2) to establish a solid foundation for gender mainstreaming into government programs, state policy and budget programmes.
The specific objectives of the assignment are following:
- to develop/adapt a training modules and training material which can be used to teach key target groups: public officials on central and local levels of Government of RK;
- to develop of practical guidance (work manual) for public authorities on conducting gender analysis of strategic plans and budget programmes;
- to conduct a training of public officials on gender analysis tools and gender responsive monitoring and evaluation of policies in order to increase the capacity of programme documentation developers of central and respective local government bodies to carry out gender planning and analysis of programme documents and budget programmes.
The modules will be designed to develop/adapt practical tools to make gender analysis, monitoring and evaluation and capacity building materials for civil servants to enhance their knowledge and skills and overall efficiency of civil service training.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The International Consultant will contribute to the above objectives of this work and undertake the following specific tasks:
Developing/adapting training modules and all supporting training materials:
- Develop and submit the detailed work plan;
- Develop/adapt of training modules for government bodies on gender analysis, gender indicators and gender-sensitive monitoring and evaluation of programmes and policies in the field of development in the context of the SDGs.
Training modules consist of the following minimum elements:
- Course outline and agenda;
- Training manual/methodology;
- Presentations, including notes for each slide;
- Methods and exercises with handouts (at least one team work exercise and one role play exercise);
- At least two case studies;
- Background reading;
- Pre- and post-test to assess learning.
Trainings should be interactive and should meet successful international methods on GRB.
- Ensure that the developed/adapted training modules are comprised of innovative training approaches and interactive communication methods;
- Submit a complete draft set of training modules, including agenda and all supporting materials for feedback and endorsement by UN Women in Kazakhstan and Ministry of National Economy (MNE) at least three weeks before the scheduled trainings days to secure the time for its translation into Russian/Kazakh languages at the adequate quality (in case the original training materials are in English);
- Adjust draft modules based on the feedback from UN Women and MNE.
Developing of practical guidance (work manual) for public authorities on conducting gender analysis of strategic plans and budget programmes:
- Develop the practical guidance based on developed/adapted training modules;
- Practical guidance should be developed as work manual for easy using by civil servants in their daily work and consist of practical tools/steps/elements of gender analysis of strategic plans and budget programmes including detailed guidelines, practical information, case studies, explanations of procedures, definitions, etc.;
- Submit a complete draft of practical guidance (work manual) for feedback and endorsement by UN Women and Ministry of National Economy (MNE) at least two weeks before the scheduled trainings days;
- Adjust draft guidance based on the feedback from UN Women and MNE.
Preparing and delivering a trainings of public officials on the developed training modules:
- Based on training modules and practical guidance prepare the handouts for the participants at the training, including case-studies and other relevant support materials/handouts. The case-studies discussed and applied during the course should be to the extent possible based on the Government of Kazakhstan planning and budget system management needs and practices;
- Submit all training materials and hand-outs to UN Women in Kazakhstan at least 2 weeks in advance to secure the time for its translation into Russian/Kazakh language at the adequate quality (in case the original training materials are in English);
- Conduct trainings on developed/adapted training modules. The training shall be organized in Astana, Shymkent (South Kazakhstan) and Aktobe (2 days each) during the period of late September-October 2017 according to the agreed schedule;
- Submit report on training delivery, specifying recommended adjustments to the training modules and other issues with regard to the training delivery;
- Submit the evaluation forms filled in by participants
On the stage of delivering trainings International Consultant will be supported by National expert. National Expert will be responsible for assistance in conducting trainings in three regions. He will work jointly on preparing the handouts for the participants at the training, including case-studies and other relevant support materials/handouts; supporting in leading one of the training modules; contributing to draft report on training delivery and evaluation feedback.
UN Women will provide the following support to the Consultant:
- Assistance in organizing trainings with ministries and local executive bodies;
- Covering costs of the expenses associated with organizing trainings in Kazakhstan;
- Contracting the local experts who will support international expert in conducting trainings in three regions, preparing case-studies based on Kazakhstan’s planning and budget framework, etc.;
- Translation of the training modules and other necessary documents.
The consultant is expected to work home based and conduct seven - ten days’ field missions to Kazakhstan (Astana, Shymkent and Aktobe) to deliver trainings.
The consultant will work under the direct supervision of the Programme Specialist of UN Women in Kazakhstan.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Strong knowledge of operation, finance, procurement, human resources, ICT, and security systems and processes, particularly in the UN system is an asset;
- Ability to provide advice and support;
- Ability to lead formulation and monitoring of management projects;
- Ability to handle confidential information;
- Good negotiating skills;
- Strong IT skills;
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Required Skills and Experience
The selection process of consultant will be by following criteria:
- Advanced degree in Economics, Gender Studies, Public Administration, Social Sciences, International Law or any other related field.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in gender equality/women empowerment and gender mainstreaming into policies, legal regulations and programs (supporting materials or link to the site where the document is available to learn about the candidate’s experience);
- Experience and knowledge on gender analysis, budget planning and conducting research in the GRB, RBM and other gender related analysis, monitoring, evaluation process (please provide a link to the resource to access the study);
- Specific experience in conducting trainings for civil servants, development of training courses/modules/curriculum;
- Minimum 5 years of experience with UN agencies and other international organizations, as well as with government agencies for promoting result oriented budget, gender sensitive planning and budgeting and gender equality.
- Excellent writing and speaking skills in English and Russian.