Country Coordinator Tanzania
SolidarMed - Swiss Organization for Health in Africa
Ifakara, Tanzania, United Republic of
SolidarMed implements a thriving health program consisting of three pillars: (1 ) Quality of care at hospitals and at decentralized health facilities (focus: maternal and child health, HIV and T B); (2) Human resources for health: preservice and in-service training, upgrading, retention measures; (3) Community based health program focusing on pregnant women and children.
Within its country program, SolidarMed promotes operational research to inform policy dialogue and knowledge exchange.
The position comprises both the management of the project "Support to Edgar Maranta School of Nursing (ca. 50 % of working time) and the coordination of the country program (ca. 50 % of working time).
Your responsibilities as country coordinator
- Assume overall responsibility for the coordination, monitoring, budgeting, reporting and annual planning of the country program;
- Provide strategic and public health guidance and leadership to the program;
- Support and supervise the project managers;
- Oversee SolidarMeds administrative support team (human resources, logistics, accounting);
- Contribute to program and project development;
- Engage in local fundraising;
- Coordinate and link with partners, donors, stakeholders as well as with the SolidarMed head office; proactively seek potential collaborations;
- Collaborate with national and international project and research partners: Ministry of Health Tanzania, Tanzania Training Center for International Health, Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, Ifakara Health Institute, Saint Francis University College in Health and Allied Sciences;
- Promote, support and participate in public health best practices, evidence-based interventions, operational research and policy dialogue;
- The position does not include clinical work; however, options of part time clinical collaboration do exist for qualified candidates.
Your responsibilities as project manager
- Assume overall responsibility for the implementation, management, monitoring, budgeting and reporting of the SolidarMed project "Edgar Maranta School of Nursing';
- Actively contribute to the introduction of Clinical Instructors into the national training schedule;
- Actively contribute to the development of the next phase of the project (starting in mid-2019);
- Identify research questions and conduct research activities as part of project implementation;
- Ensure lessons learnt are shared with policy makers, stakeholders, and partners.
- Advanced degree in health (medical or nursing) and a Master in Public Health;
- Good understanding and clinical experience of issues related to maternal and child health and infectious diseases such as HIV, TB and malaria;
- Experience in a public health context in Sub-Saharan Africa, ideally at district level Sound knowledge and experience of management and administration;
- Accustomed to using project cycle management and project development tools;
- Knowledge of and interest in principles and methods of operational research;
- Ability to assume leadership and responsibility in a team;
- Language skills in English (excellent in written and spoken), Kiswahili (basic, readiness to learn) and German (asset).