Sustainable Development Expert, P3
United Nations - Department of Economic and Social Affairs
Incheon City, Republic of Korea
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the United Nations Office for Sustainable Development (UNOSD), in the city of Incheon, Republic of Korea. UNOSD is a project office of the Division for Sustainable Development. The Division for Sustainable Development, under the Department of Economic and Social Affairs, provides leadership in promoting and coordinating implementation of the sustainable development agenda of the United Nations and serves as secretariat to the High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development which was established following the Rio+20 Conference and GA resolutions 66/288 and 67/290. The Sustainable Development Expert reports directly to UNOSD’s Senior Sustainable Development Expert.
Within delegated authority, the Sustainable Development Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Develops sustainable development databases and qualitative information required for recurrent or ad-hoc assignments;
- Drafts inputs for technical papers, analytical studies, policy reports and publications on specific topics and current and emerging issues relating to sustainable development issues, and contributes to consolidate inputs into cohesive, analytically solid and user-friendly documents;
- Formulates, identifies and analyses project proposals for ad hoc activities and technical assistance projects on sustainable development issues;
- Attends international, regional, and national meetings for consultations with colleagues in other institutions dealing with sustainable development issues;
- Assists in the organization and servicing of expert group meetings, panels, round tables, training seminars, workshops, etc. on sustainable development issues;
- Prepares talking points, statements, speeches and other inputs for presentations by senior staff on sustainable development issues;
- Prepares briefs and background materials on issues relating to sustainable development;
- Participates in missions on sustainable development issues, usually as a member of a team;
- Monitors, backstops and assesses the implementation of capacity building projects in sustainable development;
- Manage content of the Office’s knowledge management platform;
- Performs other duties as required, including administrative tasks;
- Undertakes on-the-job and other training activities both internally and externally.
- Professionalism: Ability to apply sustainable development theories, concepts and approaches. Ability to conduct independent research and analysis on sustainable development topics, determine suitability, validity and accuracy of data provided by different sources. Excellent understanding of the political environment and the programmes and activities of the UN system in implementing the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Familiarity with the intergovernmental process on sustainable development. Ability to think strategically, to identify key emerging sustainable development issues and related policy implications. Shows skill in developing sources for data collection. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently;
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in sustainable development, economics, public administration, natural resources management, or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying years of experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of policy, programme management relating to internationally agreed development goals, including the sustainable development goals, at international and national levels. Experience in supporting the implementation of capacity development programmes at the international and national level is desirable. Experience in content management of a knowledge management platform is an asset.
English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this post, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage. Knowledge of Korean is an asset.