Instructional Design Specialist
ILRI - International Livestock Research Institute
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit an Instructional Design Specialist to enhance ILRI’s contribution to the capacity development and learning aspects of several of its projects and CGIAR Research Programs (CRP).
The assignment involves working closely with ILRI’s Head of Capacity Development, research leaders and our research-for-development partners to promote “better lives through livestock” through a range of capacity development/instructional design activities, including:
- Contribute to ILRI’s mission and livestock agenda by creating blended learning courses based on Adult Learning Theory and sound Instructional design principles and practices;
- Review and refine training materials, prepare lesson plans, and produce online/e-learning modules and m-learning content;
- Create Outlines, Storyboards, Scripts, Job Aids, Activities, Assessments, and other deliverables for a variety of broad range of learning needs;
- Define technology requirements and process standards for training activities;
- Contribute to ongoing research on various aspects of instructional design and their application to ILRI’s mandate;
- Converting research outputs and tools into training media and a strategy to ensure effective dissemination and uptake among our research team and target beneficiaries.
- Develop blended-learning programs and training materials based on proven adult learning techniques (including ADDIE, Rapid Course Development, and Adult Learning Theory), using appropriate design, content and technologies adapted to the context of actors in developing countries;
- Help disseminate learning insights gained, as well as tools and methodologies across CRPs and ILRI’s activities;
- Support the program researchers in conceptualizing and developing capacity development activities;
- Work with program scientists to develop and apply tools and methods for an ongoing assessment of program capacity development needs, as well as the impact of capacity development interventions on the overall program objectives;
- Ability and willingness to manage instructional design consultants as needed to expand ability to deliver based on project needs;
- Any other related task as assigned by the Head of Capacity Development.
- An Advanced degree in Education, Communication, Business Administration, Social Sciences, or other related fields with 5 years relevant experience or a Bachelor’s degree in Education, Communication, Business Administration, Social Sciences, or other related fields with 10 years relevant experience;
- Exposure in the disciplinary area, e.g., instructional design/learning systems/education & training/social science – with experience working in developing countries. Of these, at least three years in one or more of the following areas: (1) online instructional design experience; (2) technical writing experience; (3) working with an LMS;
- Full proficiency in Articulate Storyline, or Adobe Captivate;
- High level understanding of AICC and SCORM/Tin Can standards, and experience preparing content for LMSs;
- A proven skill-set in the development of learning courses, dissemination of learning products, training and technical assistance materials, needs assessments, and other capacity development products;
- Experience with Adult Learning, Engagement skills, Curriculum Development Competence and e-learning;
- At least a basic familiarity with other relevant software such as HTML5, MS SharePoint, and Java Script Flash/Action Script as well as graphical design tools, such as Photoshop and Illustrator;
- Familiarity with aspects of livestock production, and/or agricultural systems in developing countries a plus;
- Excellent judgment, strategic thinking and the ability to manage risk and competing priorities and meet deadlines;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexity;
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills. Facilitation, presentation, and/or publication experience a plus.