Palau LGS Project Officer
UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
Under the guidance and supervision of the UNDP Governance Analyst and/or supervision of the Effective Governance Team Leader, the Palau Local Governance Strengthening – Project Officer is responsible for managing and coordinating the day-to-day project activities on the ground in Palau. The Project Officer will work very closely and with some indirect supervision in country through the Director for the Bureau of Domestic Affairs within the Ministry of State.
The Project Officer will be a key liaison between the Project and key counterparts such as the State Government’s covered by the projects, the Bureau of Domestic Affairs and all other project stakeholders. This role will require the Project Officer to keep records of all project activities in the field and ensure that an adequate level of communication is done to all relevant stakeholders.
The Project Officer will work in close collaboration with the UN Coordination Officer based in Palau and remotely through UNDP Governance Analyst and with UNDP operations team, programme staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UNDP programme implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures implementation of project and programme strategies in relation to the Palau LGSP to achieve the following results:
- Plan, coordinate and facilitate implementation of activities under the Local Governance Strengthening Project in conjunction with the detailed Project Annual Work Plan and in consultation with UNDP and the Bureau of Domestic Affairs based in Palau;
- Analytically capture lessons-learnt and draft reports based on project experiences and monitoring of progress against set targets, including from gender perspectives;
- Support procurement and financial management aspects of the Palau LGSP;
- Ensure provision of quality technical assistance in the delivery of project activities to key counterparts;
- In close collaboration with UNDP Governance Analyst and Regional Programme Advisor on Local Governance and Decentralization, provide oversight and undertake the design and delivery of capacity building assistance to the pilot local government States as per project annual work plan;
- Coordinate training workshops, meetings, round-table discussions and other events at local and national levels to support local governance;
- Support and guide State governments to discuss, design and setup mechanisms for citizens’ involvement into State planning, budgeting and other State activities;
- Promote and facilitate inter-State cooperation through exchange of information, good practices, peer-to-peer learning and joint capacity building events.
Ensures creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy for the Palau LGS Project in cooperation with the UNDP Governance Analyst and other team members:
- Provide support to UNDP and Government of Palau through coordination, research and fostering of strategic cooperation with development partners in undertaking additional resource mobilization for the Palau LGS Project;
- Development of partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society in the specific thematic areas based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities;
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
Ensures provision of top quality policy advice services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to Palau LGS Project;
- Development of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Learn from UNDP’s best practices and synthesize material for advocacy. Contributes to making UNDP a highly networked organization through liaison with knowledge networks etc.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
- Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda;
- Results-Based Programme Development and Management;
- Building Strategic Partnerships;
- Innovation and Marketing New Approaches;
- Resource Mobilization (Field Duty Stations);
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing;
- Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise;
- Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals;
- Client Orientation.
Required Skills and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, Law, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field.
4 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, practice in law, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
Fluency in the English and national language of the duty station.