Director, Information Centre, P4
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the United Nations Information Centre (UNIC) in Beirut, within the Information Centres Service (ICS), Strategic Communications Division (SCD), Department of Public Information (DPI).The UNIC Beirut is the principal source of information about the United Nations system in Lebanon, Jordan, Kuwait, and Syrian Arab Republic and is responsible for promoting public understanding and support for the aims and activities of the United Nations by disseminating UN information materials to a local audience in local language; engaging local and regional partners; and, overall, bringing the United Nations closer to the people it serves.The incumbent is accountable to the Under-Secretary-General (USG) for Communications and Public Information. He or she is under the general supervision of the Director of SCD and reports directly to the Chief of ICS.
Within delegated authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Supervise and carry out the work programme of UNIC Beirut; co-ordinate the work carried out by the centre; carry out programmatic and/or administrative tasks necessary for the functioning of UNIC Beirut, including preparation of budgets, assigning and monitoring of performance parameters and critical indicators, reporting on budget/programme performance, recruitment of staff and evaluation of staff performance; manage, guide, develop and train staff under his or her supervision; foster teamwork and communication among staff in the information centre and across organizational boundaries;
- Takes the lead in strategy, planning, development and implementation of large communications campaigns of the Department of Public Information (DPI) in the work region; where appropriate, works with departments, funds and agencies to develop ways to implement campaigns system-wide and to incorporate the campaign message and themes into all relevant events and products; prepare or oversee preparation of a diverse range of information communications products in support of major campaign initiatives; draft material for UN newsletters, periodicals, reports and books and edits drafts prepared by junior staff; maintain and may create networks of high level communications contacts with members of media, governmental agencies, international organizations, and civil society;
- Provide diverse materials (briefings, speeches, questions and answers, etc.), technical and policy advice on public information and communication issues related to the operation of UNIC Beirut to the Under-Secretary-General for Communications and Public Information and other UN senior officials; provide Headquarters with media reports regarding conditions and public attitudes towards the UN in the work region; ensure that the policies and activities of the UN are conveyed accurately and promptly to the national authorities;
- Conduct political liaison work in the region of responsibility (Lebanon, Jordan, Kuwait, and Syrian Arab Republic); participate in activities to promote and coordinate the communications and public information aspect of visits by the Secretary-General, UN senior officials, and/or UN delegations to the work region; serve as spokesperson for public information programmes;
- Ensure that the outputs produced by UNIC Beirut maintain highquality standards and comply with the relevant mandates of the DPI; that reports are clear, timely, objective and based on comprehensive data; may contribute to the reporting to intergovernmental bodies on programmatic and/or substantive issues, as appropriate, particularly those presented in biannual and/or annual reports; may provide substantive input in the preparation of position papers and reports for presentation to intergovernmental bodies, as appropriate;
- Assist in the promotion of joint public relations ventures between the DPI and UN programmes and organs in Lebanon, Jordan, Kuwait, and Syrian Arab Republic; assist with the implementation of a strategy for strengthening the public information capacity of the Organization in Lebanon, Jordan, Kuwait, and Syrian Arab Republic as part of the United Nations Communications Group (UNCG); participate in communications support to the UNCG and other UN programmes and organs based in Lebanon, Jordan, Kuwait, and Syrian Arab Republic; may serve as co-chairperson of the UNCG;
- Assist in the organization of meetings, seminars, etc. on substantive issues in Lebanon, Jordan, Kuwait, and Syrian Arab Republic; may implement international, regional or national meetings, assisting with programmatic and/or substantive and organizational discussions with representatives of other institutions; represent UNIC Beirut at inter-agency meetings, seminars, etc. on substantiverelated issues;
- Perform other relevant duties and special functions, as required by Headquarters.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Demonstrated knowledge of public information techniques, including strategic communications; proven ability to implement effective media campaigns and to develop products and activities targeting the media; ability to identify communications opportunities and problems and to articulate these to clients. Ability to advise on communication challenges, assess communication environments, develop communication strategies, and manage implementation of public information campaigns in the work region with various promotional and publicity techniques. Ability to make decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization and to apply rules, regulations, policies and guidelines in work situations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- ACCOUNTABILITY: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable;
- LEADERSHIP: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow: empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvements; does not accept the status quo; shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing;
- MANAGING PERFORMANCE: Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority; makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills; monitors progress against milestones and deadlines; regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff; encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative; actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff; appraises performance fairly.
An advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent degree) in journalism, communication, public information, international relations or a related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with an additional two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience, including three years at the international level, in public information, communication, journalism, international relations or related area is required. Experience in strategic communications; public speaking; and working with the media is required. Experience with the political, social and economic context of the working region is desirable. Experience working with both traditional and social media platforms is desirable. Experience in resource administration, including budget preparation, recruitment and conflict management is desirable. Experience working in an international organization with a field component or comparable operation at the international level.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in English and Arabic is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of other UN official languages is an advantage.