Communications Officer, P3
UNEP - United Nations Environment Programme
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UN Environment's Ecosystems Division works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and advisory services for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition. This post is located in the Ecosystems Division, at the Nairobi duty station with UN-Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation (UN-REDD) programme Under the direct supervision of the Head, UN-UN REDD Team, the incumbent will be responsible for the following:
Deliver on the UN-REDD Programme communication strategy :
- Liaise with UN-REDD Programme partners and other relevant institutions to ensure continued delivery of the UN-REDD Programme communication strategy;
- Support in policy development on the role of communication in the UN-REDD Programme including through providing input on communications activities for annual and semi-annual Programme Progress Reports;
- Facilitate, under the guidance of the Management Group, development of the 2017-2020 Communications Strategy in support of Programme’s 2016-2020 Strategic Framework;
- Support the inter-agency Communications and Knowledge Management Working Group, including chairing monthly coordination meetings;
- Promote media coverage (e.g. press conferences, interviews, press seminars and other special activities) of priority issues and/or major achievements and events of the Programme and its Partner Countries including through proposing and arranging press conferences/media coverage, disseminating materials and consulting with press on approach/story angle and other information requests, undertaking appropriate follow-up action and analyzing and reporting on the impact of coverage;
- Monitor and analyze current events, public opinion and press, identify issues and trends, and advise management on appropriate action/responses;
- Manage and grow contact lists including: general info subscribers, media, newsletter subscribers, weekly roundup subscribers;
- Support national-level communication teams;
- Point media inquiries to respective REDD representatives and technical experts;
- Report on the achievement of defined communication outcomes.
Develop communications material for the UN-REDD Programme:
- Draft and implement communications and media plans and actions including issue-specific plans and social media plans;
- Produce or oversee production of types (e.g. print, broadcast, etc.) ofcommunications products including press kits, press releases, feature articles, speeches/talking points, booklets, brochures, backgrounders, audio-visual materials, radio spot program, social media engagement, etc.;
- Facilitate at least four news articles related to achievements of the Programme and/or its Partner Countries for each issue of the newsletter;
- Facilitate at least one opinion piece focused on a key REDD+ topic for the blog each month – authored by a UN-REDD Programme technical expert, Partner Country expert, or guest expert;
- Draft, design and disseminate REDD+ Weekly Round Up;
- Manage the design and delivery of the UN-REDD Programme website; as well as the day-to-day content management of the site, including global news announcements;
- Coordinate submission of proposed and final articles for newsletter. Reviews and approve content to avoid duplication and/or contradictions among agencies. Copy edits all final text, edits and quality corrects all submitted photos. Research REDD+ jobs, events, media coverage, etc. for inclusion in newsletter. Upload final articles to Workspace. Layout newsletter in template. Disseminate first week of each publication month and promote;
- Ensure adherence to UN-REDD Programme editorial style guide, templates, logos, etc. and maintain high quality standards of all communication material including through supporting agencies with supply of logos, templates etc.;
- Manage and populate the Image Bank and YouTube video archive;
- Monitor and report on the uptake/reach of communications material.
- Develop, with support from the Knowledge Management Specialist, the knowledge management work plan, and monitor/report progress against this;
- Support South-South exchanges of experiences and lessons learned;
- Undertake survey initiatives; design data collection tools; review, analyze and interpret responses, in order to monitor and enhance the uptake of learning and communication material.
Perform any other relevant duties.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to particular sector, functional area or other specialized field. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in communications, journalism, international relations, public administration or related field. A first university degree with a combination of two years professional and academic qualifications may be accepted in lieu of the advanced degree.
A minimum of five years of relevant working experience in the field of communications and knowledge management in the area of environment is required. Good working knowledge of the Internet, as well as electronic communications important; excellent writing skills in English are required, and experience writing in French and or Spanish is an asset; Managerial and administrative experience is highly desirable. Experience working on communications with multi-stakeholder partners, including with partners from governments, the United Nations, the private sector and/or civil society is an asset
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in oral and written English is required; knowledge of French and/or Spanish is highly desirable.