Public Information Officer (English Editor), P3
New York, NY, United States
Org. Setting and Reporting
This post is located in the Knowledge Solutions and Design Section (KSD) in the Outreach Division of Department of Public Information (DPI) and reports to the Team Leader of the UN Intranet- iSeek under the general direction of the Chief of Section.
The Knowledge, Solutions and Design Section specializes in researching and reviewing, analysing and editing, packaging, displaying and sharing information, through text and visual means. The Section comprises of three key units: The Graphic Design Unit (GDU), which provides graphic design solutions and branding for the United Nation’s global communications campaigns and publications; The UN Intranet-iSeek/deleGATE Team, which provides internal communications services to UN staff globally as well as Permanent Mission in New York through deleGATE; Web Group that provides web development and knowledge solutions for all OD sections.
Within delegated authority of the Team Leader of the UN Intranet-iSeek, the Public Information Officer may be responsible for the following duties.
- Ensures implementation of information programs, priority issues and/or major events to be publicized on the UN Intranet/deleGATE for global consumption; drafts related internal information strategies, coordinates efforts, monitors and reports on (News Stories, Events, Announcements, Spotlight, Departmental pages), and oversee the editorial calendar for those.; when needed, translates this material into another one of the languages used by the UN Intranet-iSeek;
- Monitors and analyzes current events, staff opinion, conferences and campaigns through variety of UN sources such as press-releases, websites, social media; identifies issues and trends, and advises management on appropriate action/responses both for the UN Intranet and deleGATE;
- Undertakes activities to promote the UN Intranet-iSeek (e.g. conferences, meetings, interviews, departmental events and other special activities) , including development of an intranet strategy and action plan, initiating pro-active staff outreach efforts, proposing marketing materials and consulting with focal points in departments and duty station contributors on approach/story angle and other information and reporting on the impact of coverage;
- Produces or oversees production of a specific type or types (e.g. print, podcast, video, etc.) of information communications products (e.g. feature articles, speeches, booklets, brochures, backgrounders, audio-visual materials etc.), to include proposing topics, undertaking research, determining appropriate medium and target audience among staff, preparing production plans, writing and editing drafts, obtaining clearances and finalizing texts, editing copy, and coordinating design approval, photo selection; Edits Departmental pages, manages menus, taxonomies and proposes departmental information architecture (structure);
- Prepares, on the basis of UN Intranet documentation and other sources, editorial training material including technical guides and provides the training to the users. Initiates and sustains professional relationships with key constituencies, focal points network, all UN Departments and duty stations;
- Acts as focal point on specific issues, monitoring and reporting and responding to inquiries from staff and contributors globally through email. Posts content in Drupal based Content Management System and analyses technical issues and bugs and reports those to the Web Team;
- Provides guidance to, and may supervise more junior staff, acts as the OIC for the Team Leader and manages meetings and administrative matters related to the team when appropriate.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of communications approaches, tools, and methodologies essential to planning and executing effective communications strategies and programmes, e.g. marketing and promotion, audience outreach, message targeting. Ability to rapidly analyze and integrate diverse information from varied sources. Demonstrates writing and editing skills, including writing for the web accessible to a broad, non-specialist readers. Demonstrates research and analytical skills including knowledge of web statistics. Ability to identify public affairs issues, opportunities and risks in an international environment. Knowledge of basic web-design and implementation of websites, based on a Content Management Systems, such as WordPress and /or Drupal. Ability to diplomatically handle sensitive situations with target audiences and cultivate productive relationships. Knowledge of relevant policies and business activities/issues. Ability to produce a variety of written communications products in a clear, concise style. Ability to deliver oral presentations to various audiences. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in communication, journalism, international relations, public administration or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in public information, journalism, international relations, public administration or related area. Experience posting and managing content to a content management system is required. Experience in drafting and editing content for an International Organization or similar is desirable. Experience in working with image editing software is desirable. Experience in managing menus and taxonomies in a content management system is desirable. Experience of basic web design is desirable.
English and French are the languages of the UN Secretariat. For this post fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.