Programme Analyst (Inclusive Development & Growth)
UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Assistant Resident Representative (Programme), the Programme Analyst (IDG) is responsible for managing the Inclusive Development and Growth (IDG) portfolio which includes developing programme/projects, management, monitoring and/or evaluation of development projects. The person will ensure that the objectives of the portfolio are delivered as planned, contributing to the achievement of programme outcomes as per Country Programme and Action Plan and in line with the Malaysia Plan.
The Programme Analyst (IDG) will work in close collaboration with the Programme and Operations teams in the CO, Programme staff in other UN Agencies, Regional Hubs, UNDP HQs staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society to successfully implement the UNDP programme.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Advice and support to UNDP programme and project management;
- Advice and facilitation of knowledge building on analysis, economic and development issues related to the Inclusive Development and Growth agenda including gender mainstreaming;
- Strengthen gender analysis and mainstreaming in the Country Office’s programme portfolio;
- Creation of strategic partnerships and support to resource mobilization;
- Advocacy and promotion of UNDP’s mandate and mission.
Provides advice and support to UNDP management, programmes and projects focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Enhancing, prioritizing and mainstreaming inclusion for pockets of the poor, bottom 40 percent of income households and vulnerable communities as stated in the Malaysia Plan;
- Reducing spatial inequalities and promote inclusive and sustainable urbanization and rural development;
- Providing timely policy and advisory supports on national inclusive and sustainable growth agenda, with an emphasis on strengthening gender equality and development of appropriate national gender related policies, strategies, programmes and action plans;
- Tracking of economic data, provision of periodic analysis of economic and development issues and production of relevant reports aimed at promoting equitable economic growth and human development including promoting gender mainstreaming and equality;
- Provision of economic inputs and analysis of economic environment to all relevant UNDP programmes and projects for aligning UNDP programmes with national policies and priorities;
- Coordination of the production and updating of the National and State Human Development Report;
- Provision of analysis and substantive inputs to CPD, CPAP and other strategic UNDP documents.
Provides advice to UNDP and counterparts and facilitation of knowledge building focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Analysis of the country’s macro-economic policies and their impact on poverty reduction, growth, B40 strategies, spatial equality, gender mainstreaming, equity related to achievement of the Malaysia Plan;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice through identification of best practices and lessons learned;
- Support to the management of the office in facilitation of policy dialogue on development and economic issues with the Government, private sector, civil society and donors;
- Provision of capacity building support on economic issues to office staff.
Strengthen gender analysis and mainstreaming in the Country Office’s programme portfolio, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support the programme team to undertake a gender assessment of its programme portfolio including an assessment of programme work plans; planning and monitoring tools; and technical capacity on gender among cluster partners, to identify gaps and opportunities;
- Support the programme team to ensure gender sensitivity in formulation, implementation and monitoring/evaluation of programmes and projects and provide inputs to revise planning documents and integrate gender into results frameworks, indicators and related monitoring and results tracking systems;
- Monitor implementation of UNDP Gender Equality Strategy at country office level;
- Analysis of gender issues and design proposals on possible areas for UNDP support to ensure that UNDP programmes are in line with national development policies and priorities and are strategically positioned;
- Provide substantive input and support to the work plan of the UN Country Team’s Gender Theme Group.
Ensures creation of strategic partnerships and support to resource mobilization focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assistance to UNDP in resource mobilization by preparing analytical papers documentation for consultative meetings;
- Analysis and research of information and preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation;
- Assistance in creation of strategic partnerships by preparing notes, speeches and statements for UNDP officials and consultative meetings.
Advocacy and promotion of awareness of UNDP’s mandate and mission focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Advocacy for the Sustainable Development Goals, Human Development and equitable economic growth by participating in relevant forums, conferences and trainings;
- Support to monitoring progress and formulation of strategies towards the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals;
- Management of events and publications on inclusive growth and economic issues;
- Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Impact of Results:
The key results of the post strengthen UNDP’s contributions to the national policy dialogue and enhance the policy impact of UNDP programmes and projects. In particular, the key results have an impact on the design of programmes. The post increases visibility of UNDP in the discussion about inclusive growth and including economic policies and analysis.
- Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda:
Level 1.2: preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate;
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts with a variety of stakeholders to promote a better understanding of UNDP’s mandate and to support advocacy efforts.
- Building Strategic Partnerships:
Level 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts:
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues;
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders;
- Establishes and nurtures positive communication with partners.
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches.
- Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
- Creating Visibility for UNDP/Supporting UNDP’s Capacity to Advocate:
Level 1.2: Research and data analysis
- Maintains networks and knowledge assets for use in visibility and image activities;
- Makes recommendations on the design and delivery of image activities.
- Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals:
Level 1.2: Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences;
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts in the media and civil society, to promote a better understanding of UNDP’s mandate and to support advocacy efforts.
- Conceptual Innovation in the Provision of Technical Expertise:
Level 1.2: Research and analysis
- Keeps updated in his/her area of substantive expertise;
- Analyses ongoing trends, evolving needs and emerging issues to identify appropriate responses for capacity building.
- Client Orientation:
Level 1.2: Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Economics, Public Policy, Social Sciences, International Development, Statistics/Mathematics or related field.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level.;
- Experience in programme/project design, management, monitoring and/or evaluation of development projects is a must;
- Experience in conducting research and/or analysis related to the development economics, social development, gender mainstreaming and/or public policy on inclusive growth agenda is preferred;
- Experience in working with the Government of Malaysia on policy level engagement will be preferred;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages;
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems and advanced programmes for statistical analysis of data will be preferred.
- Fluency in English and Bahasa Malaysia.