Emergency Relief and Recovery Coordinator
CRS - Catholic Relief Services
Reference number: I3731
- Program Design, Proposal Development and Fund-Raising;
- Make recommendations for new programming or growth ideas, substantiated by gap analysis; lessons learned; and/or potential innovations suggested by staff, government, or communities;
- Support PMs in the design and implementation of needs assessments, analyses, and project reviews and evaluations to facilitate evidence-based decision-making, learning and accountability and to demonstrate results and impact, in collaboration with the HoP, RTA for MEAL and other technical RTAs;
- Proactively seek technical input on design strategy and review from relevant HRD Sectoral TAs;
- Support PMs in writing proposals and concept notes that follow Propack, TAG, CAG and EARO guidance and/or donor-specific guidance;
- Ensure Technical Agreements for the ERR sectors are accurate, strategic, and timely;
- Represent CRS at sector meetings in Darfur, as needed, and at other programming-related meetings in Darfur or Khartoum as requested by the HoP.
- Assist PMs in identifying and documenting best practices and lessons learned through case studies, human interest stories and strong MEAL tools and practices, including MEAL In Emergencies and beneficiary feedback mechanisms;
- Facilitate cross-learning and accountability between sectors, leading to higher performance levels in project outcomes;
- In coordination with the HOP and DRD PQ, identify TA needs (e.g. in the areas of Emergencies, Response Strategy Development and Protection Mainstreaming) and prepare SOW for both regional RTAs and HRD TAs;
- Oversee the effective integration, synergy and complementarity of ERR programming sectors in Darfur to ensure coordination, greater efficiency, and improved services to communities;
- Work with all PMs (including those not under his/her supervision) to ensure effective integration of Darfur projects more broadly.
- Ensure that PMs under his/her supervision are fully and effectively performing project management functions as outlined in ProPak II and PMD Pro;
- Promote the roll out and use of key ERR tools including the MEAL in Emergencies Guidance and the ICT4E tool kit;
- Ensure that PMs under his/her supervision are following the CRS MEAL policy and are using MEAL data to inform their projects and to make adaptions, as needed;
- Ensure PMs are pro-actively managing budgets with an emphasis on accurate forecasting and pipeline analysis through regular and effective collaboration with finance;
- Ensure PMs under his/her supervision are pro-actively managing their grants through regular and effective collaboration with MQ departments;
- Assist PMs with trouble-shooting projects that are not meeting targets, and pro-actively communicate programming challenges;
- Ensure PMs under his/her supervision prepare reports in a timely way, and that they are meaningful, descriptive and of high-quality;
- Work with PMs, the Darfur Head of Office, and Area Managers to develop appropriate systems for ensuring constructive communication that improves project cohesion in the deep field offices;
- Work with HoP and gender focal point(s), as needed, to ensure effective gender and protection mainstreaming in ERR sectors;
- Support the rollout of Gateway and, as appropriate, ICT4D initiatives.
Supervision and Capacity-Strengthening
- Provide quality supervision to assigned PMs through high-quality, meaningful development plans and results-based objectives, and by creating a supportive work environment;
- Communicate to the HoP about the technical support needs of the ERR team, including potential TDYs from EARO and HRD;
- Ensure the ERR team builds the capacity of high-performing, selected NNGOs and/or national staff to take on additional levels of responsibility, and for national staff to effectively advance;
- Provide guidance to PMs in effectively managing staff, including providing feedback, building an effective team, motivating staff, and following the CRS Performance Management System.
Program Manager Competencies
- Sets clear goals and manages toward them;
- Collaborates effectively with staff and stakeholders;
- Manages financial resources with integrity;
- Applies program quality standards to project design and organizational learning.
- Communicates strategically under pressure;
- Manages stress and complexity;
- Actively promotes safety and security;
- Manages and implements high-quality emergency programs.
- Serves with Integrity;
- Models Stewardship;
- Cultivates Constructive Relationships;
- Promotes Learning.
- Program Managers in ERR sectors, as directed by HoP.
- Master's degree preferred, any technical field related to international development or related field of expertise;
- Minimum 5 years' experience managing NGO development projects;
- Impeccable project management skills;
- Strong communication skills and inter-personal skills;
- Solid understanding of CRS program quality principles;
- Excellent supervisory skills and ability to build and motivate a team; Supervisory experience highly preferred;
- Computer efficiency in Word, Power Point, Excel, and Outlook;
- Ability to function effectively as part of a multi-cultural team;
- Willingness to be based in Darfur;
- Proficient in English (speaking, reading and writing ability) required; Arabic speaking and reading capability preferred.
- Must express thoughts and ideas by spoken and written word; listen effectively;
- Must sit for prolonged periods of time; drive to various locations; work at a computer;
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 40% of the time within Darfur to project sites; travel within or outside EARO and to HQ when requested.