Director, Quality Improvement & Quality Assurance
New York or Washington, D.C., United States
The Director, Quality Improvement/Quality Assurance will provide global leadership to develop, adapt and institutionalize a comprehensive rights-based strategy to advance the continuous QI/QA agenda of EngenderHealth. The Director will work collaboratively across functions and projects to design innovative frameworks, models, processes and systems for QI/QA that are rights-based, comprehensive, sustainable, responsive to local needs, and that could easily be scaled-up in resource constrained contexts. The director will identify and pursue the integration of state of the art technical approaches and tools including the use of digital technological innovations to rapidly scale-up and institutionalize QI/QA initiatives within existing health care systems. He/she will work closely with the Clinical Support Team Leader to ensure establishment of robust compliance systems and processes to ensure the quality of clinical services across all EngenderHealth supported projects (global, domestic and bilateral) strengthening a culture of quality service delivery to every client, at every service delivery point, on every visit. The Director will also be responsible to ensure technical assistance and capacity building support to local staff and partners at all levels of the health care system. The Director will report to the VP Evidence, Impact and Quality.
Development of Policy, Strategy, Standards, and Tools
- Lead the development and rollout of state-of-the-art QI/QA framework, policy, strategy, standards and tools in collaboration with the Clinical Support team, covering the breadth of clinical and non-clinical SRHR/FP interventions supported by EngenderHealth within and outside of health facilities;
- Establish accountability mechanisms for systematic and timely quality assurance including a system for regular collection of feedback from clients on the quality of care they received, thereby ensuring adherence to established SRHR standards and practices;
- Support country programs/projects to advocate for the integration of SRHR QI/QA standards and practices into national policies, program design, provider trainings, health facility accreditations and supervision systems in close collaboration with the Director of Health Systems Development/Improvement;
- Lead the establishment of the internal Medical Advisory Board under the guidance of the CEO/President, developing clear Terms of Reference and mandate for the Board;
- Provide oversight to the establishment of functional, multi-disciplinary QI/QA teams at Country office level with functional reporting to him/her. The Director for QI/QA reviews the reports from the field, synthesizes the findings and shares the evidences with the Medical Advisory Board.
Capacity Building and Technical Assistance
- Provide technical assistance to all EngenderHealth supported projects and programs building in-house capacity and supporting decentralized implementation of QI/QA initiatives;
- Provide oversight to country offices/projects to ensure alignment of country-level QI/QA activities are fully synchronized with organizational QI/QA framework, standards, and practices working in collaboration with the Clinical Support Team.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Work with the Director, Knowledge Management, Monitoring, Evaluation and Research to develop a set of core indicators and a system for the monitoring and evaluation of QI/QA interventions;
- Work and coach a pool of designated staff at regional and program level to build core teams of expertise in QI/QA across supported regions/programs;
- Lead documentation and dissemination of evidence based success stories in QI/QA for global and organization-wide learning, advocacy and increased visibility of EngenderHealth as thought leader in the field.
Resource Mobilization and Representation
- Lead and develop relations with key donors within the field, define programs for support and raise funding;
- Contribute to proposal design, ensuring all new proposal narratives and budgets sufficiently address QI/QA issues;
- Assess opportunities for raising funds and leveraging opportunities to advance continuous QI/QA agenda;
- Prepare concept papers for potential funding pitches in QI/QA;
- Represent EngenderHealth in high level partnership forums, international conferences etc.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & CERTIFICATIONS:
- Masters of Public Health/Masters in International Health or related field and additional certification/training in QI/QA in health/SRHR;
- 10 + years of experience in leading/designing and implementing quality improvement/ quality assurance in health, preferably in SRHR field in public and/or private health sector in resource challenged environments;
- Minimum of 8-years field experience working in developing countries;
- In depth knowledge of rights based approaches to quality in health;
- Progressive and productive senior leadership experience and demonstrated capacity in designing strategies, frameworks and tools in QI/QA.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to be strategic and entrepreneurial, and to foster a cultural environment of innovation and collaboration. Flexible and adaptable with proven capacity to respond rapidly and effectively to a changing environment;
- Comfortable working in a fast – paced environment and being held accountable for meeting ambitious targets;
- Excellent partnership and relationship building skills. Proven results in working with multiple collaborators globally;
- Excellent understanding of international public health landscape in developing countries in areas related to sexual and reproductive health and QI;
- Excellent cross-cultural sensitivity and familiarity with developing countries’ culture, reality, challenges and opportunities;
- Strong knowledge of the donor landscape within the health sector and potential investors for quality assurance;
- Excellent interpersonal and writing and oral communications skills;
- Willing to travel to and work in the focus geographic areas up to 50% of the time;
- Must be comfortable and respectful of EngenderHealth’s programming that promotes women’s rights, gender equality, sexual diversity and LGBTQ rights.