Marketing and Communications Manager, EDF+Business
EDF - Environmental Defense Fund
Washington D.C., Boston or New York, United States
This is a management position reporting to the AVP of Strategic Marketing at Environmental Defense Fund. The Marketing and Communications Manager plays a significant role in the success of EDF’s work with business by:
- Utilizing expert marketing, PR and content experience to set strategy and manage execution of holistic campaigns that drive measurable results for our programs;
- Ensuring close collaboration with EDF program leadership to identify opportunities, efficiencies and scalable processes to drive increased awareness and engagement for EDF’s work with business;
- Applying seasoned management and mentoring of marketing and communications staff and leadership of cross-functional teams;
- Applying independent problem solving and decision-making based on thorough knowledge of the program’s initiatives and past professional experience;
- Ensuring exceptional operations for the EDF+Business marketing and communications team through effective management of meetings, budgets, negotiations, contracts and processes.
As a leader on the EDF+Business Marketing and Communications team, the Marketing and Communications Manager’s accountabilities will include:
- Building thought leadership through effective and creative media outreach, marketing and communication to measurably drive increased awareness of and engagement of EDF’s work with business;
- Management and execution of top-notch marketing and communications strategies for key EDF+Business project initiatives;
- Independent accountability and decision making for marketing and communication strategy, execution and reporting for all assigned projects;
- Shared accountability for attaining program and marketing goals for EDF+Business;
- Cross-functional collaboration with EDF programs and communications teams;
- Clear and effective communication of EDF+Business Marcomm initiatives and success stories across EDF, to EDF leadership and to EDF funders;
- Management of editorial and conference calendars;
- Management of junior staff, agencies and consultants.
- The proven ability to create, implement and report out on holistic marketing campaigns, encompassing PR, digital and content marketing, direct marketing, social media, event marketing and speaking engagements;
- Expert writing and editing skills;
- Demonstrable success in cultivating media interest;
- Excellent verbal communication and presentation skills;
- The ability to lead, manage and mentor staff and cross-functional teams;
- Independent problem-solving skills and the ability to react quickly and effectively to rapidly changing program initiatives and media landscapes;
- The ability to utilize results, feedback and analytics to optimize marketing strategy and drive process efficiencies;
- Excellent project management and organizational skills;
- Comfort in working cross-functionally and communicating with all levels of the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing or communications plus a Master’s degree, M.B.A. or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of 6-8 years of marketing communications experience is essential, preferably in an agency, large corporation or NGO;
- Minimum 5 years of project management, staff management, and outside agency, consultant and budgetary oversight;
- Minimum 3 years marketing and communications experience working on policy and/or environment;
- Demonstrable, hands on experience with media outreach, social media, messaging and content creation, and audience segmentation.
Responsibility and Accountability
- Level of Independence and Decision-making: This position is responsible for independent decision making around marketing strategy, campaign planning and execution, budget allocation, staff development and cross-programmatic communications;
- Analysis and problem-solving: Ability to problem-solve on the fly and in sometimes stressful, deadline driven situations will be the norm. This person is expected to use the information at hand, the expert support of their colleagues and their prior experience to take advantage of in the moment opportunities as well as defend against media attacks;
- Management and Leadership: This person will take a leadership role in the EDF+Business marketing department, with key responsibilities for the success of our Corporate Climate Leadership, emerging Innovation and Sustainable Finance initiatives, while consistently building awareness and thought leadership for EDF+Business. This person will have joint responsibility for the overall success of EDF+Business marketing and communications;
- Impact:This person will have significant impact on their assigned projects as well as for the team as a whole;
- Budget and staff: This person will have joint budgetary oversight of the marketing budget and will manage 1-2 direct reports, take a leadership role on up to 4 cross-cutting teams, and manage consultant and/or freelance relationships as needed.