Program Officer, Health Systems Strengthening
CHAI - Clinton Health Access Initiative
The Program Officer Systems Strengthening will be responsible for supporting implementation of CHAI’s nursing and midwifery mentorship program in partnership with Government. More specifically, the Program Officer Systems Strengthening will support implementation of Quality Improvement (QI) and systems strengthening interventions to improve the performance of health workers, facilities and districts in target provinces.
The Program Officer Systems Strengthening is part of the CHAI Zambia HRH team, and reports to the HRH Program Manager Skilled Birth Attendants (SBA). The Program Officer System Strengthening will work in close collaboration with the government and will interact on a regular basis with donors, NGOs, academic and research institutions and civil society.
- In collaboration with GRZ, enhance the SBA mentorship and supervision system using best practices;
- Coordinate systems strengthening efforts with GRZ as these relate to the mentorship program;
- Assist District Health Office (DHO) teams to plan for their Human Resource needs;
- Organize and participate in training and mentoring of health program managers and health workers;
- Collaborate with DHO teams to strengthen effective coordination with donors, IPs and NGOs through joint planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of key health program indicators;
- Work closely with DHO teams to improve the use of HMIS data to manage programs and target resources for mentoring, training, logistics, and other support;
- Collaborate with DHO teams to convene monthly review meetings with health facilities to review selected health program outcome indicators and QI projects as well as share best practices;
- Support DHO teams to coordinate mentorship and QI interventions in target health facilities;
- Support DHO teams and facility level staff to institutionalize QI in health service delivery in target health facilities;
- Provides technical assistance to promote and institutionalize QI interventions in target health facilities;
- Build capacity of DHO teams and facility level staff to problem solve supply chain management issues and come up with workable solutions;
- Strengthen the coordination linkages and referral systems between community and health facilities;
- Collaborate with HRH team to collect data regarding mentorship and systems strengthening to allow for monitoring and evaluation of the program and reporting against program indicators;
- Develop strong working relationships with key stakeholders in government, international partners, donors and NGOs, and ensure coordination of resources and efforts;
- Support the SBA team in all programmatic and logistical matters;
- Provide support to core HRH team to ensure that the objectives and deliverables of the CHAI Zambia HRH Program are met
- Other responsibilities as needed.
- Bachelor’s in Nursing or Midwifery, Public Health, Community Health, Social Sciences or other health relevant field. A Master’s Degree will be an added advantage;
- At least 4 years of experience with health systems strengthening, health program management, or community-based public health programs at least 2 years of which should be with donor funded health programs;
- Experience in capacity building, training, clinical mentorship and implementation of programs in collaboration with the Ministry of Health at sub-national level is highly desirable;
- Proven track record of effective project management and ability to generate results;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and strong interpersonal capabilities;
- Exceptional problem-solving skills and ability to make linkages between interventions/programs;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and set priorities;
- Ability to maximize available data to provide strategic recommendations;
- Strong analytical skills and proficiency with MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Strong budgeting and financial expenditure analysis skills;
- Ability to organize and coordinate meetings and trainings, meet deadlines, generate data driven reports and work in a fast-paced environment with maximum efficiency and impact.