Senior Reading Specialist
Creative Associates International
The Northern Nigeria Education Initiative Plus (The Initiative) project works to improve the quality of and access to education in Northern Nigeria, equitably and sustainably.
The Senior Reading Specialist provides overall technical oversight and guidance to The Initiative's support to improved reading instruction.
- He/she supervises the production of all project supported reading material, all project supported trainings in reading, all teacher and classroom supervision and monitoring and all student testing efforts;
- He/she ensures complementarity of activity approaches in reading across the three project activity states, liaises with government representatives and technicians on technical matters, and bears ultimate responsibility for ensuring that children in project supported schools achieve improved outcomes in reading.
Reporting & Supervision:
This position reports to the Chief of Party and supervises technical project staff.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Requires a Master’s Degree in education, preferably with a specialty in early grade reading. Ph.D. in education with a focus on early childhood education and/or early grade learning preferred;
- At least 8 years of experience in programs in sub-Saharan Africa that work specifically to improve early grade reading is required;
- Prior experience with the development of early grade reading materials, training programs, classroom monitoring protocols, and tests and assessments, including EGRA, is required;
- Prior experience with supporting civil-society based monitoring of reading outcomes is required;
- The candidate must be professionally proficient and fluent in written and spoken English. It is preferred, but not required, that the candidate be conversant and fluent in written and spoken Hausa.