Project Nutrition Officer
FAO - Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Tasks and responsibilities
Under the technical supervision of the Regional Food and Nutrition Officer and the overall operational supervision of the FAOR in Egypt, in close consultation with the Nutrition and Consumer Protection Division at Headquarters, and with national staff and local authorities, the international consultant will:
- In collaboration with the national institute and the National Project Manager, oversee the design, implementation and analysis of the household food security and nutrition baseline survey and Participatory Rapid Appraisal (PRA)/Knowledge Attitudes and Practices (KAP);
- Work with the national institutes and the National Project manager and Staff on the establishment of a minimum set of qualitative and quantitative indicators to measure over time project-attributable impacts in relation to project objectives and operational monitoring indicators;
- Train project staff and staff of partner institutions on conducting the surveys and how to process and analyse the survey information;
- Based on the results of the surveys and in collaboration with the implementing institute and the national team, develop and supervise the implementation of food security interventions (including micro-gardens, Junior Farmer Field and Life Schools, home poultry production and other income generating activities) necessary to overcome the identified nutrition-related development problems;
- Inform the design, implementation and analysis of the impact assessment survey, especially with regard to the impact on the nutrition situation;
- In collaboration with the Project Manager and staff, provide relevant inputs for elaborating a guiding strategy and methodology to facilitate the replication of the project outputs in other areas of the country;
- Develop guidelines on community-level interventions for improving food security and nutrition;
- Support the integration of nutrition and food security activities into the work and policies of the concerned line ministries;
- Contribute to the development and implementation of a project information system with the participation of all stakeholders, including the facilitation of a workshop to discuss the design, methods and information outputs of the information system;
- Establish information gathering protocols and procedures, identifying all sources of information and institutional responsibilities;
- Provide technical inputs/guidance and working with the national relevant institutes, MALR relevant institution and any other relevant entities identified by the NPC of this strategy in updating the national Food and Nutrition Policy and Strategy ( 2007–2017)”.
- Prepare end of assignment report;
- Contribute to the preparation of the project terminal report;
- Undertake ad hoc tasks as the need may arise
Key performance indicators
- Food security, nutrition, baseline impact assessment survey, designed and implemented;
- Project staff and partners trained on survey conduction and information analysis;
- Project information system developed (protocols and procedures) with indication of sources of information and responsibilities;
- On-going activities supervised and guiding strategy and methodology to facilitate the replication of the project outputs in other areas of the country;
- Guidelines on community-level interventions for improving food security and nutrition developped;
- Technical support and inputs for updating the national Food and Nutrition Policy and Strategy ( 2007–2017)” provided;
- Reports required as indicated under Tasks and responsibilities timely prepared and submitted.
Required Completion Date:
By end of assignment, all indicated outputs should be completed. More specific deadlines for each of the outputs can be set at inception.
Candidates should meet the following requirements
- Advanced university degree in food securtity, nutrition, rural development, sustainable agriculture (including livestock) or related fields;
- Seven years of relevant experience in food securtity, nutrition, rural development, or sustainable agriculture;
- Working knowledge of English and/or Arabic.
- Results focus;
- Building effective relationship;
- Knowledge sharing and continuous Iprovement.
- Working experience in more than one location or area of work in field poistions are desireable;
- Relevance and extent of experience food securtity, nutrition, rural development, sustainable agriculture (including livestock) or related fields;
- Relevance and extent of experience in working with inter-governemental bodies and multi-disciplinary teams.
Based on requirements, competencies and skills.
- All candidates should possess computer/word processing skills