Agricultural Market Specialist
Chemonics seeks an agricultural market specialist for the USAID Famine Early Warning Systems Network (FEWS NET). A leading global provider of objective, evidence-based food security information and analysis, FEWS NET was created in 1985 in response to famines in East and West Africa. The FEWS NET implementing team includes NASA, NOAA, USGS, USDA, Kimetrica, and Chemonics, which manages the Washington-based technical office and more than 20 field offices. The agricultural market specialist will support the FEWS NET markets and trade team in gathering evidence and conducting in-depth analysis of key agricultural commodity markets in several countries (to be determined) .The information collected will serve as input for market knowledge base and other special reports. The work will include a combination of remote desk research and in-person field assessments. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Work with FEWS NET staff to understand, frame, and contextualize USAID information needs and define assessment-specific research questions;
- Acquire substantial knowledge of past and current in-country market conditions relevant to food security;
- Collect, review, and analyze all existing secondary data and reports on selected commodity markets in the country or countries of interest in a timely manner; and compile available data on food assistance programs in the past five years;
- Support the identification of information gaps and key research questions to be addressed through field assessment;
- Participate in all facets of field assessment planning and implementation, including planning of field assessment activities, development of data collection tools, training of field staff, and execution of fieldwork activities;
- Conduct in-depth meetings and focus groups with key informants about the current state of the commodity markets of interest and existing food assistance programs;
- Organize and facilitate two- to three-day workshops with groups of key informants of specific geographic or thematic expertise related to the commodity markets of interest;
- Draft a field assessment report and other related materials as requested, under the guidance of the home-office technical team;
- Provide general support to the markets and trade team to ensure the successful completion of reports, which may involve making phone calls to set up interviews, data entry, and ad hoc logistics and technical support.
- Master’s degree in agricultural economics, economics, or a closely related field;
- More than five years of experience in agricultural market analysis; food security analysis experience highly desirable;
- Strong command of Microsoft Word and Excel;
- Experience conducting statistical analyses using relevant software packages (e.g., STATA and SPSS) highly desirable;
- Experience facilitating technical workshops or focus group interviews required;
- Ability to work with international and multidisciplinary team members and with minimal supervision required;
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity;
- Working knowledge of English required.