Senior Officer Analysis and Monitoring on Finance and Socio-economic Issues
ASEAN - Association of Southeast Asian Nations
Duties and Responsibilities
This position is under the ASEAN Integration Monitoring Directorate (AIMD), one of the three directorates in the AEC Department of the ASEAN Secretariat. The AIMD forms part of the new ASEAN Secretariat structure effective 1 January 2016. The AIMD plays the core role as the monitoring and analytical arm of the AEC, and is comprised of four divisions: 1) the Monitoring, Surveillance and Coordination Division; 2) the Analysis and Monitoring on Trade, Industry and Emerging Issues Division; 3) the Analysis and Monitoring on Finance and Socio-Economic Issues Division; and 4) the Statistics Division. This position will be for the Analysis and Monitoring on Finance and Socio-Economic Issues Division.
Reporting to the Assistant Director for Analysis and Monitoring on Finance and Socio-economic Issues Division or other designee of the Director of the ASEAN Integration Monitoring Directorate, ASEAN Economic Community Department, the Senior Officer shall:
Develop and implement research programmes:
- Contribute to the development of strong economic research and policy analysis programmes in the ASEAN Secretariat, particularly in the areas of macroeconomics, finance integration and socio-economic issues.
- Assist in the overall coordination of the research programmes in the areas of macroeconomics, finance integration and socio-economic issues to ensure that objectives are met effectively and efficiently, including by promoting and managing linkages with research institutes and regional and international organisations that undertake relevant research in ASEAN for better synergy.
Independently undertake high-quality research and policy analyses:
- Assist in planning and coordination of, and independently undertake research and policy analyses related to macroeconomics, finance integration and socio-economic issues to enhance and deepen ASEAN’s economic integration agenda.
- Coordinate with, as well as advise relevant staff in the AEC Department in identifying key research topics in the areas of macroeconomics, finance integration and socio-economic issues.
- Inform relevant staff in the AEC Department of key findings in the literature on macroeconomics, finance integration and socio-economic issues, including by organising internal workshops/seminars to present research and policy outputs.
- Where relevant, identify and conduct joint analytical/research initiatives on socio-economic issues with the ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community Department
Provide high level policy and technical advice and recommendations to support ASEAN economic integration initiatives:
- Provide high level policy and technical advice on macroeconomics, finance integration and socio-economic issues to relevant sectoral bodies through briefing papers and presentations.
- Develop, and produce economic analyses to assist in the monitoring of various strategic regional integration initiatives.
- Develop and manage research projects, including those funded by Dialogue Partners or international organisations.
- For research projects related to macroeconomics, finance integration and socio-economic issues that cannot be undertaken internally, assist in the commissioning of studies including preparing the Terms of References (TORs) for research consultants, supervising their work and overseeing the progress of the research projects to ensure timely submission of high-quality deliverables.
- Coordinate with donors (such as Dialogue Partners) or international organisations (such as ADB) to secure funding for research projects and provide updates on the progress of externally-funded research projects.
Qualifications and experience:
- Advanced degree in economics, finance, development economics, or statistics with a minimum of six (6) years’ experience.
- Excellent analytical and research background with experience in conducting quantitative empirical work, data collection systems and data quality assurance.
- Proficiency in statistical/econometrics software applications such as E-Views, Stata, SPSS, SAS.
- Familiarity with the macroeconomic or financial environment in ASEAN and/or global economies
- Knowledge and experience on monitoring and evaluation, particularly the development of M/E tools and system in the areas of regional economic integration or international development and economic cooperation.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal and communication skills including experience in crosscultural environment and international settings.
- Demonstrated skills in analysis, problem solving, planning and the development of policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated good interpersonal and team skills, ability to develop and maintain sound working relationships with public and private sector organizations, stakeholders and partners, and work effectively with people at all levels of the organizations.
- Proven ability for accuracy under stress condition and adherence to deadlines.
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken.
- Supervisory experience.