AKDN - Aga Khan Development Network
Purpose of Position
The Communications Manager will be responsible for the creation, implementation, and management of the Aga Khan Museum’s internal and external digital and print communications initiatives to stakeholders, partners, and a multiplicity of audiences. Above and beyond conveying the mission and key messages of the Museum, the incumbent will uncover, present and promote relevant stories designed to increase brand awareness, drive footfall, and generate patronage.
Writing and Editing
- Ensure the Aga Khan Museum’s consistent ‘voice’ by taking the lead on content writing for the Museum’s communications and marketing assets including marketing collateral, web site copy, e-newsletter, press releases, press kits, program guides, Board and Committee reports, and social media content
- Provide substantive and copy editing for external communications prepared by other internal departments (Performing Arts, Development, Education, Operations, etc.);
- Proof all final production files prepared by the design team;
- Prepare speaking notes and speeches for the Director & CEO;
- Oversee responses to visitor complaints/queries;
- Collaborate with the PR Agency on stories to demonstrate the vast array of exciting initiatives at the Museum and to communicate its relevance to a multiplicity of stakeholders.
Coordination and Content Management
- Direct press tours with the Director & CEO and senior management and follow up with any requests for information;
- Participate in the internal approvals process and revisions on all adverts prepared by creative agency;
- Support and work closely with internal departments to gather content for print and digital communications vehicles (press releases, program guides, website, social media, etc.);
- Research content in response to requests for information from media, partners, external stakeholders;
- Identify and build relationships with media and new partnerships to maximize the profile of the Museum collection, exhibitions, events, programs, restaurant, park and event hosting.
Media & Public Relations
- Liaise, as the key point of contact along with the Head, Marketing and Communications, with the external PR Agency.
Online & Digital
- Oversee the research, writing and posting of content for web and social media channels;
- Oversee production and distribution of quarterly e-newsletters;
- Use web and social media appropriately to distribute corporate key messages;
- Oversee website updates and search engine marketing (SEM) and email marketing campaigns;
- Oversee changes in the existing as well as the new website;
- Oversee Print & Digital Editorial calendars. Work with various internal departments to develop engaging content;
- Ensure that all social media messages and content are relevant to both the target audience and brand objectives;
- Oversee the provision of quality and timely responses and develop best practice guidelines for various social channels;
- Ensure monthly performance reports are produced across all digital channels, including website usage and traffic patterns, using Google analytics.
Project Management and Administration
- Manage a team of internal and external digital and communications specialists;
- Develop and manage the print and digital communications budget in consultation with the Head, Marketing and Communication;
- Assist in the preparation and monitoring of project schedules for the Explore guide, the Year in Review and other marketing and communications collateral as required;
- Manage external vendors for digital and print communications;
- Ensure adherence to AKM’s legal/privacy and web accessibility requirements.
Qualifications & Experience
- Minimum university undergraduate degree in public relations, communications, or related field;
- Minimum of 8-10 years demonstrated leadership as a communications and digital professional with a proven ability to engage and influence others;
- Minimum 8 -10 years writing and editing experience preferably in an arts related organization;
- Excellent copywriting, proofreading and editing skills and good instincts for deciding on what will be of interest to various stakeholders;
- Demonstrated experience in decision-making, strategic thinking and problem-solving;
- Strong managerial and leadership skills with experience in managing a team of digital and communications specialists;
- Solid, demonstrated public relations acumen and success through implementation of plans;
- Detail oriented with strong project management and organization skills and the ability to plan and prioritize complex and competing workloads under budget, resource and time pressures;
- Desire and ability to thrive in a fast paced and dynamic organization;
- Excellent budget management skills;
- Ability to work outside of regular business hours;
- Ability to think beyond the immediate area of responsibility to take into consideration the broader Museum agenda;
- Knowledge and passion for visual arts an asset;
- Previous experience working in a non-profit environment an asset;
- Expressed interest in the mandate of the Museum.