Programme Manager (Inclusive Development and Growth)
UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Advice and support to UNDP programme and project management;
- Advice and facilitation of knowledge building on analysis, economic and development issues related to the Inclusive Development and Growth agenda;
- Creation of strategic partnerships and support to resource mobilization;
- Advocacy and promotion of UNDP’s mandate and mission.
1. Provides advice and support to UNDP management, programmes and projects focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Enhancing, prioritizing and mainstreaming inclusion for pockets of the poor, bottom 40 percent of income households and vulnerable communities as stated in the Malaysia Plan;
- Reducing spatial inequalities and promote inclusive and sustainable urbanization and rural development;
- Tracking of economic data, provision of periodic analysis of economic and development issues and production of relevant reports aimed at promoting equitable economic growth and human development;
- Provision of economic inputs to all relevant UNDP programmes and projects for aligning UNDP programmes with national policies and priorities;
- Analysis of economic environment and synthesis of proposals on possible areas for UNDP support to ensure that UNDP programmes are in line with national policies and priorities and are strategically positioned;
- Coordination of the production and updating of the National and State Human Development Report;
- Provision of analysis and substantive inputs to CPD, CPAP and other strategic UNDP documents.
2. Provides advice to UNDP and counterparts and facilitation of knowledge building focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Analysis of the country’s macro-economic policies and their impact on poverty reduction, growth, B40 strategies, spatial equality, equity related to achievement of the Malaysia Plan;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice through identification of best practices and lessons learned;
- Support to the management of the office in facilitation of policy dialogue on development and economic issues with the Government, private sector, civil society and donors;
- Provision of capacity building support on economic issues to office staff.
3. Ensures creation of strategic partnerships and support to resource mobilization focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assistance to UNDP in resource mobilization by preparing analytical papers documentation for consultative meetings;
- Analysis and research of information and preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation;
- Assistance in creation of strategic partnerships by preparing notes, speeches and statements for UNDP officials and consultative meetings.
4. Advocacy and promotion of awareness of UNDP’s mandate and mission focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Advocacy for the Sustainable Development Goals, Human Development and equitable economic growth by participating in relevant forums, conferences and trainings;
- Support to monitoring progress and formulation of strategies towards the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals;
- Management of events and publications on inclusive growth and economic issues.
5. Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Impact of Results
The key results of the post strengthen UNDP’s contributions to the national policy dialogue and enhance the policy impact of UNDP programmes and projects. In particular, the key results have an impact on the design of programmes. The post increases visibility of UNDP in the discussion about inclusive growth and including economic policies and analysis.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitiity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience and contributes to UNDP Practice Areas and actively works towards continuing personal learning and development;
- Ability to provide top quality policy advice services on economic issues;
- In-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues;
- Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Good knowledge of economics and current development issues particularly those pertinent to UNDP’s Practice Areas;
- Ability to analyze data, apply conceptual models, policy frameworks;
- Ability to lead formulation and evaluation of development programmes and projects;
- Ability to apply economic theory to the specific country context, carry out high-quality economic research;
- Management and Leadership
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to critical feedback;
- Encourages risk-taking in the pursuit of creativity and innovation;
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors.
Required Skills and Experience
Master’s degree in Economics, Public Policy, Social Sciences, International Development, Statistics/Mathematics or related field.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level;
- Experience in programme/project design, management, monitoring and/or evaluation of development projects is a must;
- Experience in conducting research and/or analysis related to the development economics and/or public policy on inclusive growth agenda is a must;
- Experience in working with the Government of Malaysia on policy level engagement will be preferred;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages;
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems and advanced programmes for statistical analysis of data will be preferred.
Fluency in English and Bahasa Malaysia.