Peace and Security Consultant
UN Women - United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Specialist and the overall guidance of the Country Representative, the Peace and Security Consultant will work in close collaboration with staff of UN Women-Darfur sub Office and Khartoum to support implementation of peace building initiatives in Sudan.
The main responsibilities of the Peace and Security Consultant are:
- Strategic Position on National Policies and Plans pertaining to peacebuilding processes;
- Programme development, management and implementation;
- Effective management and accountability of the Women, Peace and Security (WPS) portfolio;
- Creation of strategic partnerships and implementation for timely delivery of results;
- Resource mobilization.
Strategic Positioning on National Policies and Plans:
- Provide strategic and policy guidance to UN Women interventions in the areas of responsibility Women, Peace and Security (WPS);
- Ensure UN Women substantively contributes to engendering the development and implementation of national policies and plans relevant to women’s peace and at all levels;
- Ensure that UN Women Sudan programming on Women, Peace and Security (WPS) builds on the overall UN Women’s comparative advantages, adds value to existing UN support, and strengthens contribution to the attainment of national priorities as well as building the capacities for the realization of gender equality and women’s human rights;
- Support UN Women Sudan and provide substantial technical support on conflict resolution and peace building intervention planning and implementation, including proposal development and technical guidance;
- Work with other UN Women Sudan programmes to ensure linkages between the WPS and provide update information on the situational analyses and intervention planning, and to ensure timely monitoring, evaluation and documentation of interventions;
- Support rapid, multi-stakeholder assessments and field visits for the identification of appropriate interventions by the UN Women Sudan and its partners;
- Provide technical review and support to UN WOMEN partner activity development and implementation;
- Ensure effective UN Women coordination and communication with relevant State Government Ministry, UN/INGO/LNGO, civil society and other key stakeholders;
- Inform UN Women Sudan- Programme Specialist as appropriate on area of responsibility, as well as represent UN Women Sudan in forums relevant to the thematic area.
Programme Development, Management and Implementation:
- Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country of women's participation in conflict prevention, and preparation of substantive inputs to Country Strategy and other documents including inter-agency UN assessments and plans and UNDAF;
- Domestication of the global indicators to be able to develop baselines and tracking the progress;
- Strengthen the coordination within the UN agencies to support WPS agenda and humanitarian work;
- Support women’s groups to advocate for realization of the SG seven commitments agenda on peace building at the national level;
- Addressing cross- borders issues in the post separation phase;
- Ensures effective management and implementation of the UN Women supported programme activities within the thematic/sectoral areas assigned, focusing on quality control from design to implementation, paying attention to the effective application of RBM and the UN Women assessment tools, establishment of management targets and monitoring the achievement of results.
Effective management and accountability of the Women, Peace and Security (WPS) portfolio:
- Develop results oriented work plans, undertake effective monitoring and supervision and providing technical assistance to their implementation and reporting on the project activities;
- Analyse reports from partners for quality control, undertake field missions, analysing key events and changes in context and provide substantive and appropriate advice and briefs and support, sharing experiences/reflections sessions of good practices, and dissemination of lessons learned;
- In collaboration with the M&E Programme Specialist, undertake financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, identification of operational and financial problems and development of solutions;
- Organize training required for activities within the thematic areas and related work on gender indicators and gender statistics.
Creation of strategic partnerships and implementation for timely delivery of the results:
- Contribute to the development and strengthening of networks and forge partners at national, state, county and community levels, with government, key women’s organizations, UN agencies and bi-lateral development partner organisations to ensure optimal collective knowledge of gender equality and women’s rights issues;
- Development of partnerships with the UN Agencies, relevant government institutions, private sector, and civil society, particularly women's organizations at community and state and federal levels for securing gender equality and women's peace and security based on strategic goals of UN Women Annual Work plan for 2017, particularly the goal of women’s peace and security, and emerging priorities in the country as approved through UNDAF;
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
- In close consultation with UN Women Sudan Programme Specialist and under the overall guidance of the Country Representative and in liaising with donors, support resource mobilisation through the development of concept notes and project proposals/documents, identifying potential sources of funds;
- Sustain donor confidence in UN Women’s capacity to deliver by supporting the implementation of set procedures for donor reporting, and the provision of timely, regular and quality donor briefs and reports as may be required from time to time;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by UN Women Sudan Programme Specialist and Country Representative.
- The consultant is expected to contribute and promote translate the objectives and goals of Impact Area 4 of UN Women Sudan AWP 2017, notably peace and security, into concrete strategic plans and results and thus contributing to strengthening UN Women overall interventions in Peace and Security Impact Area and promote gender-sensitive peace and security programming, which impact in turn on the overall effectiveness of the UN Women programme of the CO. In addition, by helping ensure effective design, planning and implementation of peace and security portfolio, the incumbent enhances the organization’s capacity and credibility in implementation of highly effective programs with strong impact.
Specifically, the consultant, supported by short-terms consultants, is expected to deliver the following:
- Build capacity of at least 50 women peace mediators and gender experts in order they influence peace processes in Darfur, Kordofan and the Blue Nile;
- Carry out advocacy events at Federal and state level on women's participation in peace negotiations, targeting especially male champion, Local Administration authorities, traditional, cultural and religious authorities;
- Develop advocacy kit and key messages to enhance women's participation in peace negotiations and dialogues and conduct 40 community based consultations and dialogues with key stakeholders at state and local levels in Darfur;
- Develop and/or adapt manual for training of a critical mass of women mediators, women leaders and Networks on peace dialogues and related peace building processes;
- Organize social mobilization and advocacy events on peacebuilding leveraging of 16 days of activism, IWD, Peace Day, 1325 Open Day, etc.;
- Support (in collaboration with Peace and Development Centres at universities) the development of a gender-focused and participatory training curriculum on conflict resolution for CBO/ native administration;
- Support NGOs, including women's organizations to create awareness within communities calling for the truth, justice and reconciliation processes and facilitate gender inclusive community dialogues;
- Strengthen Women Peace networks institutionally to develop strategic plans and women's agendas for engagement in formal and informal peace and recovery processes;
- Provide technical support for the establishment and/or strengthening of women’s networks at the community level to coordinate action on reconciliation and conflict resolution;
- Support exchange and learning tours to link Darfur women peace builders to good practices in other regions or countries and systematically deploy them in peace negotiations including grass root networks;
- Support study tours to countries that have successfully transitioned from conflict to sustainable peace through community-based dialogue processes;
- Support resource mobilization effort for at least 3 proposals on women, peace and security issues for Sudan.
Core Values/Guiding Principles:
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct;
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work;
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff;
- Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values:
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity;
- Organizational Awareness:
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Development and Innovation:
- Take charge of self-development and take initiative;
- Work in teams:
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Communicating and Information Sharing:
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication;
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behaviour towards others;
- Conflict Management:
- Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution;
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge;
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making:
- Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
- Demonstrates integrity and fairness by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards, shows commitment to UN Women’s mission, vision, values and strategic goals of UN Women’s and displays cultural, gender, religion, race, and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Ability to establish and maintain strategic partnerships with government institutions, donors, civil society partners and other UN agencies. Has proven expertise in resource mobilization and strong negotiation skills;
- Excellent personal and professional communication and presentation skills abilities; Has the ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor the progress of the projects and activities within the area of responsibility and achieve planned results;
- Strong teamwork spirit and interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to gain the assistance and cooperation of others in a team endeavour; ability to build trust through operating with transparency and creating an open, positive and enabling environment;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills, with the ability to make effective timely decisions;
- Results based programme development and management;
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and be proactive and initiative;
- Has the ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor the progress of the projects and activities within the area of responsibility and achieve planned results;
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills, with the ability to make effective timely decisions; Ability to lead effectively, mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills;
- Generate new ideas and approaches for communication and visibility of UN Women.
Required Skills and Experience
Advanced university degree (Master Degree) in gender studies, humanitarian, human rights, law, political science, social sciences, conflict resolution and peace building or a related field.
- At least 5 years’ experience in development work with specific emphasis on women’s equality focusing on women’s peace and security, especially in conflict and post conflict reconstruction, women in peace building;
- Demonstrated hands-on experience in development, monitoring the implementation and the evaluation of development projects and resource mobilization;
- Recognized experience in the field of gender and development;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems;
- Demonstrated hands-on experience in development, monitoring the implementation and the evaluation of development projects and capacity building.
Excellent skills in written and spoken English and Arabic.