Assistant Director Culture & Information Division
ASEAN - Association of Southeast Asian Nations
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Director for Sustainable Development Directorate, ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community Department, the Assistant Director shall:
1. Managing the operational activities of the Division
- Manage, plan and approve tasks and activities of staff;
- Provide guidance/direction for staffs on professional matters;
- Foster teamwork and collaboration within the Division;
- Conduct annual performance appraisals for staff, map training and professional development activities for individual staff;
- Manage effectively all resources of the Division, including human, financial, and physical resources;
- Participate in and contribute to Divisional or Directorate management meetings.
2. Providing policy recommendations, technical advice and intiatives to the respective sectoral bodies’ work plans/programmes to promote cooperation in culture, information and media
- Provide policy recommendations, technical advice and initiatives on the above matters, including providing inputs into the drafting of sectoral workplans (and similar documents) as well as any agreements (in liason with the ASCC Analysis Division and Legal Services & Agreements Directorate);
- Provide the reporting inputs on the status of the above sectoral work plans to the ASCC Monitoring Division and Programme Cooperation & Project Management Division where necessary;
- Coordinate with other Divisions, especially Community Relations Division to develop effective outreach strategies in branding ASEAN.
3. Overseeing the development, implementation and evaluation programmes and/or projects in support of the ASCC
- Oversee the development programmes and/or projects, and manage project approvals and project implementation, in relation to culture, information and media issues, and in coordination with other sectors to develop intiatives in the promotion of ASEAN, ASEAN identity and awareness of ASEAN cultures;
- Propose projects and acitivites that will enhance the abilty of the information and media sectors in disseminating information to the public about ASEAN;
- Coordinate with international organisations and donors, where necessary, for programmes and/or projects funded by external parties;
- Provide technical inputs into the implementation of the programmes and/or projects (for example as technical resource persons for workshops);
- Manage disbursements of the ASEAN Cultural Fund.
4. Servicing the relevant bodies of the ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community
- Ensure that ASEAN sectoral bodies are provided with appropriate substantive and administrative support as required;
- Serve as the focal point and effectively engage with ASEAN Member States, Dialogue Partners and other stakeholders, drawing on input from other Divisions as necessary;
- Represent the ASEAN Secretariat at ASEAN and international forums as required;
- Manage operational linkages with associated ASEAN bodies such as the ASEAN University Network, ASEAN Foundation, and SEAMEO, to further promote cooperation in culture, information and media to wider audience;
- Prepare and/or review report of meetings, Press Releases, Joint Statements, speeches and mission reports as necessary.
Qualifications and experience:
- Postgraduate degree in relevant discipline, e.g. Public Policy, Public Administration, Communications, Social Sciences (e.g. History, Southeast Asian Studies), Management and/or Economics with minimum eight (8) years at management position and having relevant experience;
- A sound understanding of international and regional issues, and knowledge of, and commitment to ASEAN ideals;
- Proven experience in research, public policy development and negotiation, and in working closely with government officials;
- Demonstrated good interpersonal skills, ability to develop and maintain sound working relationships with public and private sector organisations, stakeholders and partners, and work effectively with people at all levels of the organisations;
- Demonstrated ability to motivate staff, foster the career development goals of staff, identify training/professional/technical development needs of staff and/or to conduct both formal and on the job training;
- Commitment to teamwork and collaborative work practices;
- Sound financial, physical and human resource management skills;
- Proven ability for accuracy under stress condition and adherence to deadlines;
- English proficiency and computer literacy are pre-requisites for this position;
- Experience in cross-cultural environment and international settings is an advantage.