Director, Health System Development/Improvement (HSD/I)
New York, NY or Washington, DC, United States
The Director for Health System Development/Improvement (HSD/I) will provide global leadership in designing, adopting and institutionalizing a comprehensive HSD/I strategy to ensure sustainable impact of country programs and projects supported by EngenderHealth. The Director, HSD/I will work collaboratively across functional units and projects within EngenderHealth; across multiple sectors (public and private) and with sectors outside of health to design innovative models of health system development/improvement that are sustainable, accountable, transparent, effective, and responsive to the local context. The Director will also build capacity of staff and partners at various levels to support result-based, multi-sectoral, SRHR focused, health system improvement interventions within the context of the broader Primary Health Care Delivery System. Last but not least, the director will work closely with the Director of Evidence and Impact to establish clearly defined accountability frameworks, key performance indicators and dashboards to generate the evidence base for best practices in HSD/I as well as to hold ourselves and our partners, including the local governments, accountable in their roles as duty bearers to establish systems that deliver results for women and girls at all levels. This is a newly created position. The successful candidate will report to the VP for Evidence, Impact and quality.
- Analyze trends and approaches in HSD/I focusing on SRHR to identify best practices & critical gaps, to benchmark who is doing what, and to explore strategic partnership opportunities to scale-up successful HSD/I interventions at the global, regional and country level;
- Bring new thought leadership on what a good health system looks like, including robust regulatory mechanisms by engaging multiple stakeholders at multiple levels of the health system to influence holistic response to addressing complex policy, systemic, and structural issues across the continuum of public-private sector partnerships;
- Lead the design and implementation of EngenderHealth’s health system development strategies, guideline and tools that are responsive to local contexts and seamlessly integrated into existing health system strengthening platforms and initiatives to promotes high value, effective and efficient SRHR service delivery reaching women and girls wherever they are;
- Build capacity of staff and other partners to conduct health systems analysis and support the development of context specific strategic plans to address systemic issues related to service delivery, governance, accreditation, result-based financing, public-private partnerships, client referrals etc.;
- Forge and strengthen vibrant, multi-sectoral partnerships with priority sectors outside of health such as education, poverty alleviation, gender and women’s empowerment, environment etc to ensure inclusion of SRHR as key/integral component to achieving the sustainable development agenda;
- Provide technical oversight, mentorship and guidance to various content specific clinical and technical advisors for health systems management & governance, service delivery, and community engagement;
- Provide technical assistance to regional and country teams to strengthen critical coordination functions related to Health System Development priorities across EngenderHealth supported projects;
- Support the integration of health system development related interventions in new project designs, donor outreach, resource mobilization, as well as integration in annual work plans and budgets of existing projects as much as feasible within existing project parameters;
- Identify, document and disseminate evidence-based best practices in health system development/improvement.
- Ensure all EngenderHealth supported SRHR programs are anchored in well-functioning, supportive systems, efficient governance structures and that governments are empowered to manage complex health systems;
- Integrate digital platforms and other innovative solutions to deliver maximum impact in support of sustainable health system development/ improvement goals;
- Contribute to new business development and advocacy initiatives;
- Ensure provision of appropriate communications and guidance related to health systems development support to programs and projects across the organization;
- Promote, position, and manage EngenderHealth’s brand;
- Work closely with cross-functional teams, projects from across the organization and communities of practices to maximize opportunities for learning, leveraging resources and building strong networks;
- Share leadership responsibility for the rollout, operationalization and monitoring of SP2020.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & CERTIFICATIONS:
- Master’s in Public Health, or Masters in International Health, or Masters in Health Economics with additional training, and certification in health systems development required;
- At least 10 years of experience in leading, designing and implementing health system development/improvement initiatives;
- At least 8 years of field experience;
- Demonstrated ability to be strategic and entrepreneurial, ability to foster a culture of innovation and team work;
- Excellent cross-cultural sensitivity and familiarity with developing countries culture, reality, challenges and opportunities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent understanding of health systems related issues and the SRHR landscape globally and in developing countries;
- Excellent partnership and relationship building skills in multi-cultural contexts, and demonstrated leadership skills in working with multiple stakeholders;
- Flexible and adaptable with proven capacity to respond rapidly and effectively to a changing environment;
- Commitment to working in a fast paced environment and to being held accountable for meeting ambitious goals. Excellent interpersonal, writing and verbal communications skills;
- Demonstrated training and facilitation skills;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and meet deadlines;
- English fluency (required) French proficiency an advantage;
- Proficient with online/electronic data reporting systems as well as Microsoft office software;
- Willing to travel to project sites up to 40% of the time;
- Must be comfortable and respectful of EngenderHealth’s programming that promotes women’s rights, gender equality, sexual diversity and LGBTQ rights.