World Relief Corp
World Relief South Sudan has been working in South Sudan since 1998, and current programs include Health, Nutrition, Education in Emergencies, Food Security and Livelihoods, and Savings for Life, most of which aim to provide relief and recovery to conflict-affected populations. The purpose of the Program Director position it to fulfill the Mission Statement of World Relief in South Sudan empowering the local Church to serve the most vulnerable, to oversee, manage, coordinate, monitor and evaluate and support World Relief South Sudan (WRSS) programs, and to ensure appropriate program communication all within the context of a complex humanitarian emergency.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Program implementation and monitoring
- Identify and work with Program Managers to seek resolution of issues affecting the achievement of results;
- Coordinate and assist Program Managers to develop data collection tools for ongoing and new activities;
- Supervise the work of Program Managers implementing program goals;
- Mentor and encourage Program Managers in their leadership and management of program staff directly under them;
- In collaboration with Finance and Grants Manager, assist Program Managers in their management of budgets;
- Assist Program Managers in monitoring program finances against program budgets, and act as a liaison between Program Managers and the other Departments.
- Liaise with international donors as it relates to current programmatic activities;
- Coordinate and assist in preparing and distributing all requisite reports for all programs;
- Edit, as needed, written materials originating from WRSS to ensure quality of outgoing documents;
- Develop high-quality PR materials for the WRSS office that can be shared as informative resources with donors, visitors, churches, and other interested partners;
- Develop and implement an information management system to include the dissemination of information from WR Home Office and affiliates, donors, Government of South Sudan offices, etc. to all the appropriate individuals;
- Ensure timely reporting of program activities to donors and Home Office Strategic Engagement staff;
- Provide field stories and photos for WR marketing and donors.
External Program Support
- Work with Home Office and/or regional technical support to ensure that planned programs are implemented in an efficient and timely manner according to the project/program proposal and the donors’ policies/agreements;
- Network with other local NGOs and government agencies in support of project/program development and opportunities and to gain knowledge about current events.
- Design of new programs activities in consultation with the Country Director, the relevant Program Manager, and Home Office technical teams in a manner that is consistent with WRSS’s strategic directions;
- Research and write project proposals in coordination with the Country Director, Program Manager, and Home Office technical teams and Program Officer.
- Work to strengthen the local church’s capacity for supporting programmatic initiatives;
- Any other duties assigned by the South Sudan Country Director.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job;
- This is a field based position and will require exposure to high temperatures, bright sun, wind, and conditions normally associated with arid environments;
- The incumbent should expect to spend considerable time traveling by land over rough terrain.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in International Relations or related field.
- Master’s degree in related field.
- 5 years of experience in Relief and Development work in the developing world, preferably in Africa;
- Strong knowledge of program areas and ability to communicate practices to various constituencies in the U.S. and Africa.
- 2 to 3 years of experience in a leadership role;
- Experience working in an emergency situation;
- Experience in donor reporting e.g. USAID, EU, CIDA, UN Agencies preferred.
- Excellent English abilities (oral and written).
- Ability to understand and/or communicate in Arabic.
- At ease with Microsoft Office programs (in particular with Word & Excel), Internet, and e-mail writing.
- Strong Christian commitment;
- Able to work independently as well as being a strong team player.
- Capacity to give spiritual input;
- Enjoys working in a team setting;
- Ability to work independently and to deal with problems and issues both promptly and efficiently.
- Diplomatic and sensitive to cross-cultural issues;
- Open minded, self controlled, self learner and flexible.
- Self-confident, maintains endurance.
- Capacity to work under pressure and to tight deadlines;
- Good negotiation skills, especially in the context of another culture;
- Able to work in a fluid and insecure area;
- Maturity and ability to adjust to harsh living conditions.
- Experience in hardship postings/complex emergencies, with proven leadership experience.
- Reliable and highly organized;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Aptitude for community mobilization and capacity-building;
- Ability to manage budgets, understand financial accountability procedures, logistics, and commodity tracking.
- Experience in training/mentoring staff;
- Knowledge of and practical experience in the development of didactic materials for training.
Management & Leadership
- Good time management;
- Able to prioritize clearly;
- Able to enforce procedures;
- Able to oversee multiple tasks.
- Desire to be stretched, professionally, personally & spiritually;
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills.