Sustainable Land Use Director
WRI - World Resources Institute
- Identify knowledge gaps and influence opportunities where WRI Indonesia research can produce meaningful improvements in the sustainable land use and management practices at level of national, jurisdictional and landscape;
- Identify the data and methods needed to produce robust, unbiased research that addresses knowledge gaps and informs SLU’s influence strategies;
- Cultivate relationships that expand the audiences for SLU’s knowledge products and their uptake of tools and research produced by the directorship;
- Author or co-author knowledge products and review and provide constructive feedback on knowledge products produced by other WRI Indonesia and global initiatives.
- Actively cultivate and manage relationships with existing donors to secure renewals;
- Identify and cultivate new donors to expand SLU’s funding base;
- Leverage existing relationships with foundations, governments, and individual donors;
- Write, develop, and review fundraising proposals with staff from SLU and other parts of WRI Indonesia;
- Mentor staff to broaden their fundraising skills, help them engage effectively in fundraising, and cultivate new funding prospects.
- Attract, motivate, and retain national-class SLU staff;
- Manage SLU staff members, ensuring they are effective and appropriate supported and guidance, and that planned deliverables and results are achieved;
- Oversee overall budgetary performance of SLU;
- Collaborate and coordinate with staff across WRI Indonesia’s programs, as well as global WRI centers and other international offices, and external partners to advance the interests of SLU and of WRI Indonesia as a whole;
- Develop and support the SLU team’s capacity to meet their responsibilities and facilitate the appropriate professional development of team members;
- Review draft publications, blogs, press releases, and other research and communications materials developed by SLU staff to ensure they meet WRI’s high standards of quality;
- Serve as member of WRI Indonesia Executive Team.
- Ensure WRI Indonesia’s SLU has a compelling vision, strong research foundation, clear priorities, and coherent strategy;
- Lead LSU strategic planning, including development and planning of a major cross-institutional Signature Initiative, on sustainable land use and management;
- Ensure SLU activities lead to meaningful results that promote Sustainable development, and lead reporting on impacts and successes to internal and external audiences;
- Lead SLU’s strategy development, partnership development, and fundraising efforts;
- Lead the preparation of annual work plans and oversee the production of reports and other deliverables to WRI Indonesia or donor;
- Foster a culture of excellence in the work within the directorship and across WRI Indonesia;
- Promote close and effective collaboration with relevant programs and center at WRI as well as with other International Offices.
- External representation of WRI Indonesia’s SLU;
- Develop and give presentations at public speaking events, international fora, one-on-one meetings, and within WRI;
- Write briefs, publish blogs, and conduct media interviews in order to set public and private sector agendas, influence decision-maker perspectives, and communicate findings and recommendations from SLU’s work.
- Minimum 10-12 years of progressive professional work experience related to land, environmental or natural resource management, sustainable development with relevant program implementation and project management experience;
- Degree in environmental study/policy, natural resource study, sustainable development, development study or similar is required. Master’s or PhD preferred;
- A good understanding of Indonesia’s One Map Policy and knowledge on geospatial information management will be an advantage;
- Strong network of relationships and partnerships with governments, donors, civil society, and other stakeholders engaged in sustainable development policy and practice;
- Recognized expertise and track record of publication in sustainable development or low emission development in the context of Indonesia or similar geographical setting;
- Demonstrated ability to successfully motivate and manage teams to reach their full potential and achieve on-the-ground results;
- Strong team player with ability to work across institutional departments/programs;
- Proven ability to provide vision and superb strategic thinking skills;
- Demonstrated capability to secure funding from donors;
- Outstanding ability to communicate clearly, passionately, and compellingly to a wide range of audiences, especially high-level decision-makers from government, the private sector, and civil society;
- Strong analytical research skills are required;
- Strong writing skills for both technical and general audiences are essential. Oral presentation skills a plus;
- Candidate must be self-motivated, detail-oriented and organized thinker with an ability to juggle multiple priorities, handle assignments independently, and work under tight deadlines;
- Flexibility, sense of humor, breadth of interests, and willingness to explore unfamiliar issues all are qualities that will be looked for during the hiring process;
- International experience is an advantage. Foreign language skills are a plus;
- Position requires some international travel.
For more details and to apply for this job click here