Director of Program Design, Monitoring and Evaluation
IJM - Institut Jacques Monod
Guatemala City, Guatemala
International Justice Mission (IJM) is working with government and community-based partners to put an end to impunity in cases of sexual violence against children in Guatemala. IJM Guatemala is seeking a professional with significant experience in Program Design, Monitoring and Evaluation (PDM&E). This person will provide leadership and support to IJM’s PDM&E activities in Guatemala to ensure the sound design of, and to measure the progress and impact of, the office’s justice system transformation program.
The Director of PDM&E will be based in Guatemala City and will report to the Field Office Director. The position will require occasional travel within the country of Guatemala.
Strengthen Program Impact and Quality
- Lead development and implementation of systems and tools to monitor and evaluate IJM’s programming in Guatemala including:
- The performance of police, prosecutors, and courts in responding to child sexual assault;
- Key stakeholders’ confidence in the public justice system’s response to child sexual assault;
- IJM casework activities, which includes supporting child sexual assault victims from criminal investigation, prosecution, and aftercare;
- Trainings provided by IJM and partners;
- Advocacy and awareness-raising activities; and
- Church and community mobilization.
- Ensure data collection methods will produce valid and rigorous data;
- Lead the ongoing analysis of both quantitative and qualitative program data;
- Proactively identify gaps or needed changes in the program outcomes, strategies, or monitoring, based on the evidence base;
- Interpret program data for decision-makers and provide recommendations on how to learn and use the data within the program and also externally;
- Lead the preparation for external evaluation(s);
- Lead development & implementation of IJM program quality standards in Guatemala;
- Lead the program design process for new programs in Guatemala;
- Maintain and manage the M&E Plan in line with IJM guidance and standards; and
- Ensure that program policies, guidelines, and other documents are in line with industry/sector norms.
Strengthen Organizational Program Capacity
- Develop an M&E Handbook with tools and instructions for both the IJM program and for partners;
- Train and mentor the Guatemala M&E Manager, the M&E Consultant, fellows and interns, and the Field Office Program Specialists; and
- Train and mentor partners on how to collect and use monitoring data.
Program Management and Administration
- Work with the Field Office Director, Deputy Field Office Director, and Headquarters team to develop goals and objectives for M&E;
- Lead a program team to implement M&E activities;
- Determine priorities (in accordance with the M&E Plan) for data collection, analysis and interpretation to ensure timely reporting and sustainable workloads amongst competing M&E efforts; and
- Keep leadership apprised of M&E learnings.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in International Development, Public Health, Criminal Justice , or another related field (Master’s degree preferred);
- At least 8 years of experience in applied program design, program management, monitoring and evaluation data use, and decision-making;
- Strong experience in qualitative and quantitative methods, data collection, and analysis. Ability to design data collection methods for rigorous results that require minimum staff time and effort;
- Strong experience in the creation and validation of data collection tools, such as surveys and interview guides;
- Proven ability to work with program teams to understand goals and activities, balance staff time and competing priorities, and translate data into programmatic recommendations;
- Proficient in group facilitation with demonstrated ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with partners, staff, and colleagues with a high level of tact, diplomacy and confidentiality;
- Proven leadership experience in program monitoring and evaluation;
- Exceptional organizational skills;
- Exceptional ability to work independently and autonomously;
- Proven experience managing teams, through research or M&E activities (ideally 3 years of combined management experience);
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English required;
- Ability to work well with, and support, the work of others;
- Functional knowledge of quantitative and qualitative data analysis software; and
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite with strong computer skills, including electronic data systems design and use.
- Mature Christian faith;
- Genuine passion to help people suffering injustice and oppression;
- Person of honesty and integrity;
- Personable, patient, and persistent;
- Creative and flexible;
- Professionalism in demeanor and in written and oral communication;
- Attentive to detail;
- Can work with minimum supervision;
- Effective as a team player; and
- Willing to work some weekends and long hours when needed.