Chief of Party, Guatemala
We are currently seeking a Chief of Party for the USAID-funded Guatemala Creating Economic Opportunities (CEO) Project. The objective of CEO is to reduce poverty and improve living conditions, closing gaps between Guatemala and migrant destination countries, in order to decrease unaccompanied child and irregular migration. To achieve this objective, CEO will grow businesses, and increase employment and income generating opportunities for Guatemalans through a multi-pronged approach utilizing four levers of economic development – expanding access to markets, improving workforce capacity, increasing access to financial services, and strengthening the policy and enabling environment. CEO will work to benefit the poorest of the poor and the most vulnerable Guatemalans, particularly youth and indigenous persons, in select geographic areas with high levels of out migration (the Western Highlands and the Department of Guatemala).
The COP will have overall responsibility for the contract including quality control, the appropriateness and overall responsiveness of all activities performed under the contract, whether by long - or short-term advisors or others, and professional oral and written communication with USAID.
- Provide overall technical vision, leadership, and project management;
- Manage and supervise work of all international consultants, local project staff and subcontractors;
- Ensure day-to-day technical, schedule, and financial performance of the project in accordance with USAID rules and regulations, the scope of work, and annual work plans;
- Serve as the project's key liaison with headquarters, government counterparts, private sector stakeholders, subcontractors, academic institutions, and other local partners to exchange information and develop professional relationships;
- Serve as the primary point of contact with USAID/Guatemala with regard to day-to-day implementation and management matters relating to the contract
- Collaboratively create and implement a strategic, long-term programmatic vision;
- Oversee preparation and supervision of project work planning, budgets and pipeline analyses, performance management, and strategic communications;
- Evaluate sub-contractor and grantee activities through consultative meetings, site visits and reporting requirements;
- Ensure that the activities and results are implemented in a timely manner within the approved budget;
- Review all financial and logistical information on a periodic basis;
- Recommend and evaluate proposed staff;
- Make verbal or written presentations as requested by the client to varied audiences;
- Coordinate activities and prepare annual results report, resource requests, quarterly reports and pipeline analyses; coordinate with HQ on development of profiles, success stories, etc.;
- Assure that assistance provided under the award is technically sound and appropriate for the needs to be addressed and for adequately managing and supervising the work of all staff in country;
- Monitor, evaluate and document progress toward meeting activity objectives.
- Advanced degree in development economics, business, rural development, agronomy, or a related field;
- Minimum 15 years of relevant international work experience in economic development project management and/or related areas with a strong knowledge of agricultural value chains in a developing country context;
- Extensive knowledge of market-led systems, accessing new markets in select value chains and organizational development experience;
- Experience and knowledge in workforce development, preferably with youth or marginalized populations;
- Proven Chief of Party experience on a large, complex USAID-funded contract, in Latin America; preferably in Guatemala;
- Proven ability to effectively work in multicultural societies; positive track record in gender and ethnic inclusion;
- Proven ability to collaborate successfully with host-country government officials, international donors, and private sector stakeholders;
- Extensive management experience and strong leadership and communication skills required;
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity;
- Demonstrated ability to be collaborative across projects; flexible and creative;
- Fluent spoken, written, and reading abilities in English and Spanish is required.