International Consultant - Gender Advisor
UN Women - United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women
Vientiane, Lao People's Democratic Republic
Duties and Responsibilities
Objective of The Assignment:
The overall objective of this consultancy is to provide key technical and coordination support to the UN Women initiatives in the area of women’s economic empowerment and resource mobilization that supports the implementation of the UNPF. The consultant will work as an integral part of the project office in Lao PDR.
Scope of Work:
Under the supervision of the Country Manager based in the UN Women Regional Office, the consultant will perform the following key services:
Technical guidance for the National Coordinator (NC) for WEE for finalization, inception and establishing an implementation system of the Lao country component of the regional women’s economic empowerment project (including women market vendor/SME development and WEP/CSR):
- Collate, with the National Coordinator on WEE, input from national stakeholders to design and finalize project details and an annual work plan for the Lao country component. The NC will compile the zero draft and the consultant will provide technical quality assurance and finalize the TORs, clearly showing his/her value-addition;
- Provide technical guidance to the NC on WEE in organize, with support from the project office, an inception workshop consulting with the regional project manager and compile a report for the workshop;
- Provide technical advice for identifying strategic work for responsible parties and consultants. The NC will compile the zero draft and the consultant will provide technical quality assurance and finalize the TORs, clearly showing his/her value-addition;
- Provide technical advice for implementation of the project, including developing a monitoring framework and setting up a data collection system. The NC will compile the zero draft and the consultant will provide technical quality assurance and finalize the monitoring and data collection framework/plan, clearly showing his/her value-addition;
- Provide guidance for developing an outreach/communication strategy for the project.
- Analyse opportunities for resource mobilization and update a donor intelligence note and provide input for the Country Manager for LEADS;
- Draft concept notes/proposals consulting with potential donors and RO advisors and programme support team.
Advocacy (international women’s day):
- Plan events and explore partners for co-organizing and funding;
- Draft a concept note for events and coordinate partners;
- With assistance with the National Coordinator(s), reach out to local speakers and invitees;
- Organize events, by being responsible for the technical content and providing oversight for logistical arrangements; (launch of “Progress of World’s Women” and “Situation on Women Market Vendors in Vientiane: A Baseline Report”);
- Coordinate with the Technical Facilitator and the Country Programme Manager to plan the launch;
- With assistance with the National Coordinator on WEE, reach out to local speakers and invitees;
- Organize events, by being responsible for the technical content and providing oversight for logistical arrangements.
- Input on and detailed work plan for the Laos component of the regional WEE project, tentative timeline: Late February (first draft), Late March (second draft);
- Input and quality assurance provided for the TORs of technical consultants/personnel and RPs, tentative timeline: Mid March (first draft), Mid April (second draft);
- Draft framework for monitoring and data collection, tentative: Early April (first draft), Mid May (second draft);
- Annual report for outcome 10 of the UNDAF, tentative timeline: 5 working days before the deadline of the RCO;
- Report on resource mobilization and partnership development including the way forward and suggestions, tentative timeline: 25 May;
- Draft concept note for international women’s day, tentative timeline: Mid January;
- List of invitees and speakers for international women’s day, tentative timeline: 20 February;
- Event report on international women’s day, tentative timeline: Mid March;
- List of invitees and speakers for the report launch, tentative timeline: 20 January;
- Report on the report launch, tentative timeline: Mid February.
- Integrity: Demonstrating consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct;
- Professionalism: Demonstrating professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive of work;
- Cultural Sensitivity/Valuing diversity: Demonstrating an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrating an international outlook, appreciating differences in values and learning from cultural diversity;
- Conflict Management: Addressing conflicts proactively while acknowledging different feelings and views.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in political science, economics, international development, gender studies, law, social science or related field.
- A minimum of 15 years of relevant experience in technical cooperation, including planning with national counterparts and designing development projects/programmes. The incumbent is expected to have a solid experience in implementing, monitoring and evaluating such development programs;
- Strong technical expertise in women’s economic empowerment and women’s equal opportunities and treatment as reflected in national development plans and legislation is required;
- Proven work experience in resource mobilisation and relations with the donor community;
- A minimum of 8 years of professional experience in designing and facilitating major international consultations with great understanding of both contents and process of consultations to inform research and programme formulation is required;
- Knowledge of and work experience on gender equality and women’s rights with experience in the Asia-Pacific region is required. Those specifically in Lao PDR is an asset;
- Previous experience with UN agencies is an advantage;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with particular experience in designing media and knowledge-sharing products and publications is required;
- Ability to work efficiently and responsively within a multicultural environment and in a team;
- Strong commitment to gender equality, human rights and respect for diversity.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.